Please help identify what kind of grass I have, and what weed this is!

evident

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Please help identify what kind of grass I have, and what weed this is!
Hi, I live in the east coast in the philly suburbs. can anyone help identify what kind of grass this is?

also, this weed has been growing rampantly the past 2 weeks. I was told we cant put down any weed killers since we put grass seed down on bare spots. anything else we can do to reduce/ eliminate them?

thanks!

DSC06098.JPG

DSC06097.JPG

DSC06091.JPG

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
weedalert.com
They have an app too.
Looks like fescue.

georeedy

Threads
Given the fine blade and the fact that it looks like it's growing in the shade, I'd say fine fescue. Can't see any weeds in the picture, but if they're there and you treat them, you should wait until you mow the new grass at least 4 times. If it's just a few weeds, I usually use ortho weed b gone concentrate in a 2 gallon sprayer. That way you can avoid any newly planted areas.

possum

Threads
Look like some old tall fescue growing in your otherwise fine fescue yard. Best way this time of year is to dig those areas out, add a little dirt to level it a bit and plant some grass seed to match the grass you have. You can kill the tall stuff with glyphosate but it takes time and you have to be careful. If you get any on your good grass it will kill it as well.