LX255 K62A transmission issue

arch252

Threads
LX277 K62A transmission issue

I just picked up an LX277 on the cheap, the seller said the transmission needed to be replaced. He thought the cylinder blocks were bad. I've replaced cylinder blocks on a K62A transmission and I have a good used spare cylinder block so I was hoping if that was the problem I might get lucky and be able to repair it without much money. When I picked it up he said it would not move at all in forward or reverse. That made me suspicious because my experience with a bad cylinder block was that it would move at first but as the transmission warmed up the pistons could not pump the thinning oil, resulted in a loss of power. It didn't seem right that there was no movement at all in both forward and reverse, meaning both blocks would be equally bad seemed unlikely.

I got it home and started to check it out. Pulling the hydro disengage lever allowed the wheels to spin freely, pushing it in locked them. I jacked up the rear end to see if the wheels would spin at all with no resistance. Nothing. I dropped it back to the ground. I pressed the forward pedal and gave it a push to assist and felt it pulling itself forward very slowly. Nothing in reverse, even with an assist. I sat on it and pressed the forward pedal, nothing. I lunged forward and heard a mechanical noise and the transmission jerked as it engaged and began going forward, like something "caught". It took about 30 feet and it was moving at full speed. Still nothing in reverse. Whenever I stop and want to move forward I have to give a little heave forward and the same noise every time followed by forward movement up to full speed. Once it warmed up it would go to full speed as soon as I gave it a lunge forward, it only took 30 feet to get up to speed when I first started it. When it starts moving forward it runs out with no problems at all, until you stop again.

What could be "catching" when I give it an assist forward, jerking and allowing the transmission to engage? Still nothing at all in reverse. Where would you guys start to troubleshoot? I'm doubtful that it has anything to do with the cylinder blocks, what should I be looking for?

Last edited:

Glyn Robinson

Threads
hello neighbor. someone should chime in on this question soon. i don't know that much about what you're asking or i would give it a shot.

arch252

Threads
I figured it out this morning, just needed to purge air from the transmission. Took 5 minutes and didn't cost a dime!