Koehler ch15 on cub 2155 smoking looking for rebuild advice.

Rippinryno

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Koehler ch15 on cub 2155 smoking looking for rebuild advice.
Been looking through the manual to familiarize myself with this job it looks like I will need at least rings my question is can I get to this from the top when I take the head off or do I have to take off the crank cover on the side to get to the piston I know I'll be able to see the cylinder once I remove the head and I am used to working on ATV and motorcycle engines but have a separate bottomend the crank . Is this ch15 one where I will need to remove the rod from the bottom to get the piston out. This is smoking like a chimney and using about a quart per mow so I'm fairly positive it's rings and possibly bore.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can rebuild Kohlers in situ but in a cub it will be a lot easier to pull the engine as you have to access the crank to remove the rods then push the pistons out the top.
Watch out for the carbon build up at the top of the cylinder.
I like to wire brush ( Dremel tool ) it off before pushing the piston out as it can jamb and do damage to the top ring groove.
Sit down before you ask the price of Kohler rings.
A piston, rings & rod will cost near as much as a discounted new engine from one of the superceeded engine merchants.
So measure up carefully before you call the parts store.

Rippinryno

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you can find me a discounted new engine for $130 let me know!

Otherwise, i'm hoping for just rings $35, if i need the whole shebang, i'll be getting close to the $200 mark after a bore job. I still don't know where i could find this motor used in that price range.

Any references to where i can find a new engine for $200?

gonna run this the rest of the season then pull it down this winter. It's too bad they dont' make these like they do small atv and dirt bike engines with a true top end and bottom end, lol. having to pull the crank case apart to get into the piston is a PIA!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I pay $ 70 for kohler rings down here and a re-ring runs out to $ 500 in parts before I add my labour to it.
last season I was getting pulled Courages $ 800. So I bought 18 , a full pallet load.

The uniblock makes the engines a lot cheaper to manufacture and actually allows them to cool much better than descreet items.
Mower engines are very price sensative.
They are not buit for ease of rebuilding they are buit to be as cheap to make as possible.

Rippinryno

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pay $ 70 for kohler rings down here and a re-ring runs out to $ 500 in parts before I add my labour to it.
last season I was getting pulled Courages $ 800. So I bought 18 , a full pallet load.

I suppose if you're charging customers you can pay as much as you want, i personally would buy them on ebay for half that price.

So you're saying that to put new rings on a kohler like mine you are paying in $500 in parts!?!?! on what? I plan to spend less than 200 total, my labor will be my time, but I am not even sure how i would spend $500 in parts for a bore job, piston, and rings that's absurd. $800 for a used kohler is also too much when i can do a rebuild for under $200.

The better the engine quality the easier the rebuild in my opinion. The disposal engines truly are not made for rebuild lol.

The real reason i posted was to see if anybody had advice on swapping out rings and/or piston on this single single ch15. I'm going to get into it sometime this winter but wanted to gather as much info as possible before doing it, I can say right now it won't cost me $500 in parts, i only have $60 in the entire mower!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suppose if you're charging customers you can pay as much as you want, i personally would buy them on ebay for half that price.

So you're saying that to put new rings on a kohler like mine you are paying in $500 in parts!?!?! on what? I plan to spend less than 200 total, my labor will be my time, but I am not even sure how i would spend $500 in parts for a bore job, piston, and rings that's absurd. $800 for a used kohler is also too much when i can do a rebuild for under $200.

The better the engine quality the easier the rebuild in my opinion. The disposal engines truly are not made for rebuild lol.

The real reason i posted was to see if anybody had advice on swapping out rings and/or piston on this single single ch15. I'm going to get into it sometime this winter but wanted to gather as much info as possible before doing it, I can say right now it won't cost me $500 in parts, i only have $60 in the entire mower!

When you have to warrant your work you never fit any thing that is on evilbay.
You fit parts bought from a wholesaler that has liability insurance and guarantees the parts.
A bit different for home owners.
The $ 800 Kohlers were brand new pulls from a factory that changed engines.
Kohler service manuals are available on line, directly from Kohler ( click the "guest" box then agree to the terms & conditions ) or from K &T see below. click on kohler manuals then on your engine group.
mymowerparts.com/pdf/
No real trap, have done a lot of Kohler rebuilds hardest part is removing all the silicon without damaging the head & barrel.
I stand them in old stale fuel overnight as it softens the silicon and makes it easier to remove.