Need large mower for slight hillside... up and down mowing possible

HollyE75

Threads
  • / Need large mower for slight hillside... up and down mowing possible
We have a hillside in front of our house. It's probably about 5 acres and slopes vary from 10 to possibly as much as 25 degrees, but mostly just 15/20. It is possible for me to mow up and down rather than side hill. My husband wants to get a 60" Bad boy ZT. Would this be a good choice? From my researching on the net, the Cub Cadet ZTR is supposed to be good for mowing slopes.

Mowing up and down the hill is fine but the mower just needs the power to get uphill and I need decent traction for when I turn around to head back down. Any advice is appreciated. This is our first cutting season on this property and I'm using an old Murray 42" that was left here. It's a nightmare.

Edited to add: Picture of hillside
hill.jpg

Last edited:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have a hillside in front of our house. It's probably about 5 acres and slopes vary from 10 to possibly as much as 25 degrees, but mostly just 15/20. It is possible for me to mow up and down rather than side hill. My husband wants to get a 60" Bad boy ZT. Would this be a good choice? From my researching on the net, the Cub Cadet ZTR is supposed to be good for mowing slopes.

Mowing up and down the hill is fine but the mower just needs the power to get uphill and I need decent traction for when I turn around to head back down. Any advice is appreciated. This is our first cutting season on this property and I'm using an old Murray 42" that was left here. It's a nightmare.

Ztr mowers get all of their traction from the back wheels. When the back wheels break loose and the mower starts to slide, you have no steering control. You are just along for the ride until the mower reaches a final rest. Hopefully it doesn't run you into a tree, ditch, or turn over. Mowing up and down hill isn't a good idea with a ztr mower.

If it's too steep to mow side with a ztr mower, then you should look at something else.

HollyE75

Threads
Ztr mowers get all of their traction from the back wheels. When the back wheels break loose and the mower starts to slide, you have no steering control. You are just along for the ride until the mower reaches a final rest. Hopefully it doesn't run you into a tree, ditch, or turn over. Mowing up and down hill isn't a good idea with a ztr mower.

If it's too steep to mow side with a ztr mower, then you should look at something else.

Sure, I'm up for any advice. What is the something else I should be looking at?
I edited my original post to show a picture of the hillside.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I would mow that with a ZTR all day. I also have many hours of practice.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads

That hill isn't too steep for a 60" ztr mower. It should handle mowing that side to side.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always mow side to side. Start at the bottom so you are making your turns up hill.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where is Ric when you need him ?
That is a perfect place to use a stander.
In fact looking at the picture thats a perfect place period. Nice piece of the planet you hae there.
You can get the standers with really wide decks.

HollyE75

Threads
Thanks for all the advice here. The picture shows the hillside from the front of the house. What you don't see is a steep drop not far out that no mower will ever go on. The picture make it look like a smooth gradual slope.

I'm now considering the Husqvarna MZ61. There is a dealer and service center near us....... and there isn't much near us, LOL, so that's a huge plus. We live in a rather remote area so I want to make sure a service center is close, and by close, that means an hour away.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for all the advice here. The picture shows the hillside from the front of the house. What you don't see is a steep drop not far out that no mower will ever go on. The picture make it look like a smooth gradual slope. I'm now considering the Husqvarna MZ61. There is a dealer and service center near us....... and there isn't much near us, LOL, so that's a huge plus. We live in a rather remote area so I want to make sure a service center is close, and by close, that means an hour away.

The mz61 is a good mower.
Husqvarna does not have the fastest blade tip speed but has one of the highest tuque going to the blades. Very good in thick grass.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the advice here. The picture shows the hillside from the front of the house. What you don't see is a steep drop not far out that no mower will ever go on. The picture make it look like a smooth gradual slope.

I'm now considering the Husqvarna MZ61. There is a dealer and service center near us....... and there isn't much near us, LOL, so that's a huge plus. We live in a rather remote area so I want to make sure a service center is close, and by close, that means an hour away.

For five acres, I would upgrade to the MZT61.