Need large mower for slight hillside... up and down mowing possible

HollyE75

Threads
  • / Need large mower for slight hillside... up and down mowing possible
If your mowing with a 50" Lawn tractor and it's taking you 2.5 to 3 hours a good 48" stander or 48" ztr will cut that in half. You have to remember your CC only did about 5mph top speed and a good stander or ztr top speed is 8 to 10 mph so you can cut your time as well as the cost of the mower by dropping deck size but you'll also cut cost of operation. Also both stander and Ztr price will be a lot less on a 48 or 52"

I do hear what you're saying. However, for the Ferris IS700 that I looked at, the 52" is only $400 less than the 61". In that case, I'd gladly pay the extra $400 for that much more cutting deck. I haven't compared the other brands price differences when it comes to deck sizes. The local dealer that we would like to buy from deals with Husqvarna, Scagg, and Ferris mowers. They provide all the services and even will come to our location for pickup/dropoff and even repairs at our location when possible. For living as remote as we do, that's hard to pass up so we really would like to buy one of their brands.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Big decks can make lighter work however they also scalp really bad on neven ground.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do hear what you're saying. However, for the Ferris IS700 that I looked at, the 52" is only $400 less than the 61". In that case, I'd gladly pay the extra $400 for that much more cutting deck. I haven't compared the other brands price differences when it comes to deck sizes. The local dealer that we would like to buy from deals with Husqvarna, Scagg, and Ferris mowers. They provide all the services and even will come to our location for pickup/dropoff and even repairs at our location when possible. For living as remote as we do, that's hard to pass up so we really would like to buy one of their brands.

Out of the Husqvarna, Scagg, and Ferris mowers mentioned I'd have to go with Scag but there are just to many others out there to compare to that are better mowers for the money you're looking to spend. I'd have to take a look at mowers like Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Gravely and Dixie chopper see the differences and get opinions from some other dealers before I committed to buying one of the three mowers your looking at. Also Bert is right Bigger decks can make lighter work however they also scalp really bad on uneven ground and there also somewhat less maneuverable.

HollyE75

Threads
Out of the Husqvarna, Scagg, and Ferris mowers mentioned I'd have to go with Scag but there are just to many others out there to compare to that are better mowers for the money you're looking to spend. I'd have to take a look at mowers like Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Gravely and Dixie chopper see the differences and get opinions from some other dealers before I committed to buying one of the three mowers your looking at. Also Bert is right Bigger decks can make lighter work however they also scalp really bad on uneven ground and there also somewhat less maneuverable.

We are looking to spend under $7K. My husband would love to buy a Scagg but it's several thousand more. The other brands may not have a service center nearby and the nearest place could wind up being 2 hours away which isn't a good idea. My husband works out of state for sometimes long periods of time and there is no way I can load the mower on our 20' trailer and haul it by myself. These are all things I need to consider.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
We are looking to spend under $7K. My husband would love to buy a Scagg but it's several thousand more. The other brands may not have a service center nearby and the nearest place could wind up being 2 hours away which isn't a good idea. My husband works out of state for sometimes long periods of time and there is no way I can load the mower on our 20' trailer and haul it by myself. These are all things I need to consider.

You will find that all of the brands mentioned offer the same drive train options. Anyone on this or any other site is going to recommend the brand they use, and say it is the best mower out there for the money. The ones who give you this advice are doing so without any experience with the other brands they are putting down. In truth, there isn't a great deal of difference in the major brands. Thy are all quality mowers. They will handle a little different, and some have options that are specific to that brand, but all are good mowers. The IS700 is a very well built commercial mower. Choose the dealer and mower that you like best. You can get a very good mower for $6k to $7k.

HollyE75

Threads
Made the decision today and bought a Scag Patriot with 61" deck. It is being delivered tomorrow, can't wait to try it out.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Made the decision today and bought a Scag Patriot with 61" deck. It is being delivered tomorrow, can't wait to try it out.

Congrats on the mower, I think you'll be real happy with that choice. Scag has a good reputation and they make a real good mower. The FX engine is a real good engine.

zmister11

Threads

Nice, can't wait to see some pics!

ingigo

Threads
wow

Beautiful view!

A zero turn will provide a proper and quick mow, just do not turn too quickly, the sod and dirt will get dug up. Quality is not achieved quickly.

HollyE75

Threads
13166041_1732227657059503_270386030315510104_n.jpg
It was delivered today and as soon as I was able to, I began just driving it around getting a feel for it. Right away, I headed to the the meadow at the bottom of the hill and tried it out. I hadn't cut this section yet this season because it was just too hard to do with the regular riding mower. I immediately felt like I was all over the place with little control, and gladly had nothing to run into. Within 20 minutes, I had improved 200%. I went fairly slow but was still able to cut it fairly quickly. It was a breeze cutting on this slight slope going side to side. The seat was extremely comfortable and I felt stable the entire time. Mowing grass just got a lot simpler in my world. :biggrin: