Motor turns, then hesitates, turns then hesitates

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not quite.
One needs to stand in a puddle of used SAE 30 twirling a holed piston on a broken transmission belt around your head chanting
" Repairs are not maintanance"
Black fellas did not bother with mowers, they burned the pastures to promote new grass growth.
In fact they managed to do with nothing more than a few leafy branches what we white fellas can not with 3 skycranes, 2000 water bombing aircraft, 6000 fire trucks with pumps & flashing lights, complex national communications systems and satelite surveys,,,, stop 1/2 the bloody country burning every summer.

We had a comic writer who used to poke fun at the black / white culture incompatabilites but the PC crowd closed it down
Jollif did a big work with a couple of Lubras standing with their woven baskets full of bush tucker watching the minister ( wearing appropriate dog collar ) swearing at his lawn mower.
The caption goes " don't understand Pastor's lawn. First he smother it with bird poo, then he drown it with water and when it finally grow he chops it all off with the mower"
There used to be a framed copy of this in almost every mower shop when I wore short pants.

But we are digressing quite a ways from the mower hanging on the compression stroke.

slowink

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Motor turns, then hesitates, turns then hesitates
It may have a carb problem, but you need to start it first to check the carb.
The only carb problem that affects the way the engine cranks is a leaking float that fill up the cylinder so you get a hydraulic lock.
However with a hydraulic lock if the engine gets past the first compression it blows all of the fuel out the exhaust and then turns over normally.

Very important only change or fix 1 problem at a time.

So that would be 6 in and 9 out, right?

slowink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally found the problem, As I mentioned I just bought this riding lawn mower. I tried everything everyone brought up. Finally, I checked the oil, it was over double the capacity. I smelled the dip stick and it smelled like gas. I then dumped the oil, took the spark plug out and cleaned it. Blew the plug cavity out with air pressure, replaced the plug, Jumped the battery from my truck, because it was low at this point, it whirled over and started. It smoked at first, then cleared and ran just as smooth as silk. I drove it around for about twenty minutes to re-charge the battery, shut it down and re-started it again. It started right up and ran just fine.
I wish to thank those of you that tried to help me solve the problem from the beginning. Lesson learned, check the oil level first. Don't believe what the seller says, they just want to get rid of what ever problem they have. Thanks again.:laughing::confused2::ashamed: I also installed a shut off valve in the gas line to eliminate the gas going into the engine again.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After you have run the mower a few times, check the plug, if it is black then the float needle is not cutting off the fuel properly.
Glad to hear it is in the grass again & out the shop