Hustler Rapture SD 60 Blades

Ashtonman

Threads
This is my second season with my SD 60 mower and I was not very happy with the cut quality. Blades of grass not being cut. Just looking like crap after and going over an area a second time to get the cut cleaned up.
After doing some research and visiting my hustler dealer. I told him what was going on and he was "surprised". I said I wanted a set of high lift blades. ". He said really, they have then installed from the factory. (Not). We went out to a new unit and sure enough, medium lift blades installed (totally suck). He said we have problems with the "48 and 52"units but not the 60. I went ahead and purchased the blades and wow, what a difference. I can't even believe what they pick up and cut and discharge. Before, they wouldn't even lift up a small stick from tree and now it " chop chop chop". Dust is almost twice as bad. It's a completely different mower. if you want a better cut drop $60 on some blades and cut away.

cutnedge

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, I know what you mean. It appears that factory ideas of "hi lifts" and that of my own are two different animals. I'm still comparing different blades with my 60" SZ. Do the new bades you bought measure 20.5 inches ?

bradmc

Threads
I had similar issues last summer with my new sd60. I bought a set of Oregon 396-740 blades from Amazon and the cut is MUCH better. I can mow much faster now and still get a nice clean cut. They also seem to eject clippings with more force, leaving barely any grass clumps under the deck. That was a huge problem for me with the original blade set.

Ashtonman

Threads
Yes, the blades are 20.5" I am going to try the hustler oem blades for half the summer, then switch to the Oregon set and see how they cut. I have to say, so far the high lift blades are doing 100% better than the medium lift.