Recommended Lubricant for Steering Chains on Gizmow ZTR

FarmerCharlie

Threads
  • / Recommended Lubricant for Steering Chains on Gizmow ZTR
I need to lubricate the three chains used to connect the steering wheel with the front wheels on my Gizmow Formula ZTR. Two of the chains are located where they are exposed to grass clippings, and I figure I should avoid any regular sticky lubricant. The manual just says "Lubricate the chain between the two steering wheel shafts with a spray type lubricant or light oil." I know WD40 makes a PTFE dry lubricant spray. Another spray product is DuPont's Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant. Would one of these be a good choice?

In my experience with other spray type products, the spray nozzle tends to get plugged up long before I ever use up the product, so most of it just goes to waste. Finish Line makes several dry film Teflon-based lubricants for use on bicycle chains. One of them is a squeeze-bottle product "Finish Line DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube." Would that also be an option?

Any suggestions on these or some other product that will not just make things worse by attracting dirt and grime?

BTW: I still think the Gizmow is the best mower ever. I bought mine 5 years ago after some discussion on this forum of ZTR mowers for using on a slope. Other than a few broken belts, the mower has performed quite well. I did have to do my first actual repair recently when the ZTR control got erratic. I thought I was in big trouble. But it turned out that the shaft holding the cams that couple the steering wheel to the hydraulics had slipped down about 1/2 inch, so the cams did not make contact with the rollers on the hydraulic push-pull chain. Once I realized what the problem was, I just pushed the rod back up, retightened the set screws, and was back in business.

If we had a Gizmow brand section on the forum, would I be the only one on it? :)

Thanks,

Charlie

John R

Threads
  • / Recommended Lubricant for Steering Chains on Gizmow ZTR
Motor Cycle chain oil will do the trick, it's a good dry lube made for chains.