Command 25 ( cv730s ) loosing power when PTO is engaged

puddindaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Command 25 ( cv730s ) loosing power when PTO is engaged
Love the forum. Have a cv730s in a craftsman dyt 4000. It,ll sputter a little at idle and full throttle. But when I engage the PTO the engine gets real rough and looses power. I'm assuming carb cleaning but after reading here and a few other places I thought it would be best to get an opinion. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the plugs are in good shape, and that you have fire on both plugs. This can be checked by starting the engine and then try grounding the plugs one at a time and see if it runs rougher or just dies. If that checks out OK, then move to cleaning the carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the govenor is working.
Externally check for debris jambed around the shaft and arms.
Set the throttle to the lowest position.
Get down and look at the joint between the govenor arm and the govenor shaft.
Get some one else to throttle up and make sure the arm is not slipping on the shaft

pauly50

Threads
hi ,
looking as your description of problem sound like coil problem or a air leak ?
check both cyls firing, pull 1 lead off at a time and note what happens , if pull r/h side lead and engine stops it is only running on the left hand cylinder
, but if pull l/h lead off and it stops then its running on r/h cyl, a engine will run on one cylinder ok until the load demand is more than the power output for the unit running on 1 cylinder , the unit then stops , just be sure fuel supply and fuel pump are in good working order, as is compression and also check for leaking inlet manifold gasket @ cyl head ( if its broken / leaking sucking air ) it will run on 1 cyl as well have seen this happen even though compression and spark and fuel were good
if this is good then coil is suspect on the side that is not firing - dismantle and replace coil , reassemble and recheck

hope this helps

pauly50