Engine MTD 11A runs 20 seconds and dies

sandy220

Forum Newbie
Threads
MTD 122 CC engine, Mod 11A-08MA029, SN 1D088K21295 DOM 2007. Mower will run fine for 15 to 20 seconds and die. Wait 2 or 3 minutes produces same results. I have ensured tank is clean, added new filter inline, gas line is clear and put in a new carb kit. Same results. Ran fine last year. Mower has had very light use and is in good shape other than not running properly. Just wonder if this is a universal problem with this Chinese unit. Would lowering the float allow more fuel to pass into the bowl and keep it from starving out? I am about out of ideas on this one.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you getting a good full flow of gas to the carburetor.

sandy220

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes sir, the only way to get more would be to get a bigger fuel line.

Threads
MTD 122 CC engine, Mod 11A-08MA029, SN 1D088K21295 DOM 2007. Mower will run fine for 15 to 20 seconds and die. Wait 2 or 3 minutes produces same results. I have ensured tank is clean, added new filter inline, gas line is clear and put in a new carb kit. Same results. Ran fine last year. Mower has had very light use and is in good shape other than not running properly. Just wonder if this is a universal problem with this Chinese unit. Would lowering the float allow more fuel to pass into the bowl and keep it from starving out? I am about out of ideas on this one.

You might wan to look at my post about the PowerMore (MTD) , made in China 1P61N0 engine. Had a similar problem. Something to consider. Karel

Threads
You might want to check my recent post on the PowerMore (MTD) 1P61N0 erratic operation. This is a 123cc motor made in China. Kill wire was laying too close to the spark plug wire. Tied kill wire back and it ran fine. Something to consider. Karel

sandy220

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Karel for the head's up. I and a friend worked on it all one afternoon. Had the carb off numerous times and determined the governor was not functioning properly and looked at that kill wire and did not move it around but I noticed it was fairly close and when tinkering with the governor it would put a shock on me so you are right, it is grounding all time to some degree but not always enough to kill the engine. I will get into that this weekend and maybe put a wire with more insulation on it in place of the factory one. I'll post again after that endeavor and let you know if that was a positive program or not. Thank you again.

Lloyd

sandy220

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just as a followup to this worrisome piece of junk, I finally gave up on it and got a Toro which starts first time every time. Briggs and Straton engine. I left the with an acquaintance who had previously owned a small engine shop and told him all I had done to it. Also told him to throw it in the Pecos River if he couldn't fix it. Have not heard from him in 6 months so I suspect it is sleeping with the fishes. Really a poorly engineered device. Meanwhile I am enjoying the Toro and will avoid sino brands in the future.

Lloyd