Husqvarna 25R trimmer motor problem

trooper1954

Threads
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this is not in the right forum....I looked for Husqvarna but couldn't find it. Anyhow, I have an older 25R trimmer that's been running fine for 20 odd years. Suddenly today I started it up, and it runs at idle , but as soon as I apply throttle it dies. I re started it and left it run just at idle, and after about 30 seconds it died again. The only thing I did recently was to replace the starter cord which broke, and while doing that I blew around the carb area with an air hose to clean up dust and dried grass. Possible a bit of dirt went into the carb?? Not sure what to troubleshoot here and would appreciate any advice. I think it's a mikuni carb.....I've attached some pics.IMG_20160425_110807 (640x640).jpg

Thanks.

trooper1954

Threads
Sorry....missed sending the second photo.IMG_20160425_110756 (640x640).jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) dirt around the carb can not clog the fuel system.
It just gets inside the crankcase & cylinder and may do some abrasion.
Not a problem as it usually gets expelled strait out on the next pull of the starter handle.

2) symptoms are typical fuel starvation.
You get just enough fuel to start but not enough to run.
If it is 20 years old then you are a bit overdue for a new fuel filter but before you do that, fill the fuel tank to the tippy top with nice fresh fuel.
If it starts and runs better than it did before then you need to replace both the filter and the fuel lines, they don't last forever.
After that it is a dip into the carb job .
However it is generally easier to replace the whole carb.
They are not difficult to overhaul but require fasidious attention to cleanliness and a light touch as they are easily damaged beyound economic repair.