New or Used and what to look for in used for a 72" ZTR

6s1284

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New or Used and what to look for in used for a 72" ZTR
Hi folks,

I have about 3.75 acres to cut and have been doing so with a JD Z425 for eight years. Since land is flat I am SERIOUSLY thinking about moving to a 72" to save some significant time. I enjoy my place looking nice but don't necessarily like all the time spent in the mowers seat. I am looking at Toro 5000 series (new) among others. My local dealer has said that the 3000 series are not worthy.

I would appreciate ANY feedback on what to look for if buying a used ZTR. I am a car guy and am comfortable with mechanicals but know ZIP about what to look for as good/bad in a used ZTR.

Also, any thoughts on what I could get for my JD Z425 with 420 hours (very well maintained) would be great.

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Dave

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi folks,

I have about 3.75 acres to cut and have been doing so with a JD Z425 for eight years. Since land is flat I am SERIOUSLY thinking about moving to a 72" to save some significant time. I enjoy my place looking nice but don't necessarily like all the time spent in the mowers seat. I am looking at Toro 5000 series (new) among others. My local dealer has said that the 3000 series are not worthy.

I would appreciate ANY feedback on what to look for if buying a used ZTR. I am a car guy and am comfortable with mechanicals but know ZIP about what to look for as good/bad in a used ZTR.

Also, any thoughts on what I could get for my JD Z425 with 420 hours (very well maintained) would be great.

Dave
The high end commercial mowers you will be looking at are all very well built. If you understand mechanics, and what to look for as far as wear and tear, then you should have no problems with any used commercial 72" ztr mower you are looking to buy. 3.75 acres is nothing for a mower that size. If you are looking for a new mower, then don't limit yourself to one brand. Check out all the available major brands in your area. Most mower brands offer the same engine/hydro options, and all will have heavy duty decks (most fabricated, but John deere's is stamped). The main differences will be some extra features that are specific to certain brands, i.e. Suspension, flex forks, single joystick controls, flip up deck, etc. The other main differences are price and paint color. Some brands are priced much better than others, but they are all good mowers. Dealer support should also be considered before making your purchase.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look at the deck hangers. look at the deck lift and the deck stabilizers.
These decks are very heavy and flog out all of the mounting points.
If you can weld & file then no worries but expensive work to have done.
have a close look at the spindle mounting points, they tend to rust out.
Give the blades a good twist to check the bearings.
Check the bottom of the spindle housings for wear.
A lot of these can cost better than $ 200 each and you have 3 or 4 of them.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look at the deck hangers. look at the deck lift and the deck stabilizers.
These decks are very heavy and flog out all of the mounting points.
If you can weld & file then no worries but expensive work to have done.
have a close look at the spindle mounting points, they tend to rust out.
Give the blades a good twist to check the bearings.
Check the bottom of the spindle housings for wear.
A lot of these can cost better than $ 200 each and you have 3 or 4 of them.
Great points about the deck. Someone with mechanical knowledge should know to check it as well. The chains and hangers may wear out in a 72" deck due to its weight. Shouldn't have an issue with the spindle mounting points. Most 72" decks are 7 gauge steel, or at least reinforced at the mounting points. Also a great point about the bearings and housings. Especially if the previous owner cleaned the top of the deck with water. Checking for slack and damage to the pulleys is another point the op should look at. Front wheel bearings, and front fork spindles need a look as well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Great points about the deck. Someone with mechanical knowledge should know to check it as well. The chains and hangers may wear out in a 72" deck due to its weight. Shouldn't have an issue with the spindle mounting points. Most 72" decks are 7 gauge steel, or at least reinforced at the mounting points. Also a great point about the bearings and housings. Especially if the previous owner cleaned the top of the deck with water. Checking for slack and damage to the pulleys is another point the op should look at. Front wheel bearings, and front fork spindles need a look as well.

If the spindle housing are steel fine.
If the spindle housings are alloy and the paint has gone, not so fine.
I have needed to weld in plates on more than one large fabricated deck.
Steel rusts regardless of its thickness and as far as I know all decks are made from plian .04 carbon steel and not higher quality passivating grades usually used for outdoor unpainted structures.

6s1284

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,

Dave

Thanks everyone!