Equivalent mower to Grasshopper 928D

bobuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I currently mow 17 acres with a 1999 Grasshopper 928D that I believe has bitten the dust. I will know more this afternoon after the repair guy calls with either good or bad news.

Just in case - any opinions on what would be an equivalent mower to the 928D. I mow open pastures/around horse fencing, choppy bumpy pastures, heavy tall grasses, around trees/gates and along creek banks. There are some slopes along the creeks. I also mow paths through forested areas.

We bought the 928D used 15 years ago with 2000 hours on it and it has been a beast. I will miss it terribly if it really is not repairable.

Thanks for any input/opinions,

Laurie

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I currently mow 17 acres with a 1999 Grasshopper 928D that I believe has bitten the dust. I will know more this afternoon after the repair guy calls with either good or bad news.

Just in case - any opinions on what would be an equivalent mower to the 928D. I mow open pastures/around horse fencing, choppy bumpy pastures, heavy tall grasses, around trees/gates and along creek banks. There are some slopes along the creeks. I also mow paths through forested areas.

We bought the 928D used 15 years ago with 2000 hours on it and it has been a beast. I will miss it terribly if it really is not repairable.

Thanks for any input/opinions,

Laurie

It depends on whether you want another diesel mower, another front mount mower, and your budget.

Toro/Exmark did offer an equine discount to horse owners. I'm not sure if they still do, but it's worth a look. Their laser z and zmaster series mowers are quality machines.

The Ferris IS5100 is diesel, and would offer the best ride of any of the mowers mentioned.

The Snapper pro s200xt (mid mount), or s800x (front mount) would most likely be the best priced of the mowers mentioned. They are powered by the big block vanguard (great gasoline engine). Well built mowers on the Ferris frame.

The Hustler z diesel is another great mid mount mower option.

Gravely is another great brand

The slag turf tiger is also a great mower.

Kubota and John Deere also make great diesel mowers.

You can't go wrong with any of the mowers that you would be looking at to do your job. It boils down to what you want, what your budget is, what is available to you in your area, and dealer support. Good luck

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some thing else to think about is a shaft PTO. A shaft driven PTO is a farm implement and tax deductible. Belt driven is a mower and nothing else.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would fix the grasshopper.
There is not a mower built today under $10.000 that can keep up with what you have.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would fix the grasshopper.
There is not a mower built today under $10.000 that can keep up with what you have.

I agree. Grasshoppers are built like a tank. New engine would only be a fraction of the cost of a new mower.