New PTO Switch

KyGolfer

Threads
Help. My new PTO switch just burnt. I'm taking this as a sign that the PTO clutch needs replacing. Due to my recent prior post, I thought it was just the switch. John R. advised the there could be a short. I didn't listen. He was right. My apologies. I will ALWAYS take someone's advise on here. ( Don't let my wife know I said that. ha.) Can someone verify that they think the clutch needs replacing, besides the 2 switch parts?CIMG2708 (800x600) (2).jpgCIMG2708 (800x600).jpgCIMG2709 (800x600).jpgCIMG2710 (800x600).jpg Thanks a ton!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Help. My new PTO switch just burnt. I'm taking this as a sign that the PTO clutch needs replacing. Due to my recent prior post, I thought it was just the switch. John R. advised the there could be a short. I didn't listen. He was right. My apologies. I will ALWAYS take someone's advise on here. ( Don't let my wife know I said that. ha.) Can someone verify that they think the clutch needs replacing, besides the 2 switch parts?View attachment 28341View attachment 28342View attachment 28343View attachment 28344 Thanks a ton!

You sure do have a direct ground to that circuit. If it was in my shop I would be checking the wires first, not saying it couldn't be the clutch but not likely. A fuse is also a lot cheaper then a PTO switch.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with reynoldston, you need to start checking every wire and connection in that circuit. I would replace any parts until I was positive everything is in good shape. To me, to develop heat like that, something before the clutch may be the problem. This is not going to be fast or easy at this point, but must be done. Don't stop if you find one thing bad, as I wouldn't surprise me that there are multiple problems. Get out you VOM, your patience and good luck.

KyGolfer

Threads
I agree with reynoldston, you need to start checking every wire and connection in that circuit. I would replace any parts until I was positive everything is in good shape. To me, to develop heat like that, something before the clutch may be the problem. This is not going to be fast or easy at this point, but must be done. Don't stop if you find one thing bad, as I wouldn't surprise me that there are multiple problems. Get out you VOM, your patience and good luck.

This only happens when mower is hot. After running for 1 hour is when blades disengage. PTO stops working and the above pictures is what I got. What could be causing this short circuit after running this long, wouldn"t this happen immediately?
Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have never heard of a hot short or hot open. This occurs when heat causes a component or wire to open (separate) or short to ground.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you installed a fuse or circuit breaker, even a temp one it would make it a lot easier to find the short. It will blow the fuse or trip the breaker instead of burning up all the switches and wires. A lot cheaper also.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, guys what about intermittent short to ground in the clutch (maybe at hot)? I think you told us a couple times that expected current draw in a typical clutch "on" state is around 16 amps?? Bert, was that you. So if the gentleman can make the hook up ( a little tricky running) or even static it might give a clue. Visual check of heavier feed wire (typically red") at or on frame or other metal objects might help. Break loose any hold downs so you can see all round the wire. Also look for broken wires flopping around with a wire tip available to touch somewhere. These things vibrate and with heat can work harden and snap wiring.

KyGolfer

Threads
Well thanks for all your input guys. Since I don't know what a hot short is, I'm taking my wife's advise and taking it to a shop. Granted, I'm not a master or even considered a shade tree mechanic , I sometimes need to be knocked in the head to know I'm overwhelmed. I don't think I'm a complete dummy, since I can fix a few things. Just getting too old to crawl under equipment. Again, thanks to all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't beat yourself up over an electrical problem. Every tech on this forum, who is worth his salt, has more grey hair than he'll admit over troubleshooting an electrical problem. We've all been there and done that. It takes a smart guy to admit he is stumped and you gained a lot of respect by admitting it's time to turn it over to someone else. A lot of guys here would just start throwing money at it (replacing parts) before they will get lucking or throw in the towel. Good luck, please let us know what they find.

John R

Threads
Come back and let us know what the problem was when you find out.