Yard machine 14.5 won't turn over starter motor is hot please help

Grizz50

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Yard machine 14.5 won't turn over starter motor is hot please help
I bought a new battery u1 it shows good but when I put a load on it it shows weak the starter won't spin the engine no noise it tries a little the starter motor is hot to touch is starter bad pleas help

Grizz50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the spark plug and let us know if the engine spins. Before posting back read this thread, and please follow what it says.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/site-discussion/36288-how-do-you-change-muffler-belt.html

Model number3AM67OGO88 serial number1E300B30054 my new battery I bought only has 230 cold cranking amps I think that might not be enogh I took the starter off took it apart now I can't get it back together trying to find a new starter motor the number is 000404

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Model number3AM67OGO88 serial number1E300B30054 my new battery I bought only has 230 cold cranking amps I think that might not be enogh I took the starter off took it apart now I can't get it back together trying to find a new starter motor the number is 000404

I doubt it will be a starter motor fault that's why rivets asked for the spark plug out.

Also what is the model, type and code off of engine?

Grizz50

Forum Newbie
Threads
I doubt it will be a starter motor fault that's why rivets asked for the spark plug out.

Also what is the model, type and code off of engine?

Ok I took the spark plug out it tried o crank shoot gas out plug smells like gas where is the model and engine code I put the plug back in it tried to start then more gas coming out when I took plug out again more gas shooting out now battery low poss carburetor getting to much gas help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now we know that the starter is not the problem. What you describe is a common symptom of the float needle in the carb not seating properly and allowing the fuel to enter the cylinder and crankcase from the carb. Fix. Rebuild the carb and replace the float needle and seat. Change the oil. If the engine is a Briggs the numbers should be on the sheet metal shield above the muffler. If it is a Tecumseh it will be on a decal on the side of the shroud. This is the procedure I use.

Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. *Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. *If it does, replace. *If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: *On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. *Under this cover will be an idle jet. *Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. *You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

Grizz50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now we know that the starter is not the problem. What you describe is a common symptom of the float needle in the carb not seating properly and allowing the fuel to enter the cylinder and crankcase from the carb. Fix. Rebuild the carb and replace the float needle and seat. Change the oil. If the engine is a Briggs the numbers should be on the sheet metal shield above the muffler. If it is a Tecumseh it will be on a decal on the side of the shroud. This is the procedure I use.

Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. *Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. *If it does, replace. *If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: *On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. *Under this cover will be an idle jet. *Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. *You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.
Model number 287707 type 1224-E1 code 000522ze

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
So gasoline hydraulic lock inhibited pistons from rotating. The starter tried best it could and asked for more and more current, heating it up. FYI I use that little battery to start my 2.8 liter car engine so it can do the job.

Grizz50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to everyone that help I just bought a new carburetor local lawnmower place wanted 180.00 bought off eBay for 79.00 put in today worked great smoked a little but cleared up going to clean the old one.thanks again