Turf Tiger Demonstration

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I picked up a Turf Tiger this morning to demonstrate from the dealer. I ran it a short time around lunch time. It has a 61" deck. I am not sure what is going on but it does not seem to cut as good as either of my Tiger Cats with the 52" deck. It was not cutting clean like they do. I even raised the deck and checked the blades to be sure that it had good blades on it.

I ran one a couple of years ago that was a beast. I was not however impressed with my initial run on this one. I am planning to run it a few days and see how I like it. We really need another mower and I am really kicking around whether to step up to a Turf Tiger or just get another Tiger Cat.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what is ailing the Turf Tiger demo machine, but in the past I have serviced several TTs that had a clutch slipping, badly worn V belt on the clutch, or the tensioner spring had lost its pull. Moving to the deck area, there are more V belts with gear boxes and a drive shaft between.
On some newer machines, the high idle speed has been reduced to 3,200 to 3,300 RPM set by the engine manufacturers in the interest of extending engine life verses 3,600 RPM engines, this slows down blade tip speed substantially.
Over the years I have run across machines where the full throttle RPM has decreased due to cable and other problems. I readjust them to bring them back up to 3,600 RPM.
I have heard the comment the this is a demo machine and it needs to be brought into the service department and checked out, but they haven't had the time to do it. I've heard this "song" many times over the years. Years back I was interested in a used aircraft. I insisted that the aircraft be flown so I could evaluate its performance. During the runup I noticed that the engine wouldn't achieve full RPM, the pilot/seller commented that the engine/prop governor needed to be readjusted. I told him to return to the ramp as I was no longer interested in this aircraft. Most aircraft piston engines have two spark plugs on each cylinder and have two magnetos for powering each set of spark plugs, one magneto had failed, he knew that, but was still going to fly the aircraft with a perspective buyer on board, not a good idea especially from my perspective being an FAA licensed aircraft mechanic, the seller wasn't aware of this.
Anyway, just a few comments from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what is ailing the Turf Tiger demo machine, but in the past I have serviced several TTs that had a clutch slipping, badly worn V belt on the clutch, or the tensioner spring had lost its pull. Moving to the deck area, there are more V belts with gear boxes and a drive shaft between.
On some newer machines, the high idle speed has been reduced to 3,200 to 3,300 RPM set by the engine manufacturers in the interest of extending engine life verses 3,600 RPM engines, this slows down blade tip speed substantially.
Over the years I have run across machines where the full throttle RPM has decreased due to cable and other problems. I readjust them to bring them back up to 3,600 RPM.
I have heard the comment the this is a demo machine and it needs to be brought into the service department and checked out, but they haven't had the time to do it. I've heard this "song" many times over the years. Years back I was interested in a used aircraft. I insisted that the aircraft be flown so I could evaluate its performance. During the runup I noticed that the engine wouldn't achieve full RPM, the pilot/seller commented that the engine/prop governor needed to be readjusted. I told him to return to the ramp as I was no longer interested in this aircraft. Most aircraft piston engines have two spark plugs on each cylinder and have two magnetos for powering each set of spark plugs, one magneto had failed, he knew that, but was still going to fly the aircraft with a perspective buyer on board, not a good idea especially from my perspective being an FAA licensed aircraft mechanic, the seller wasn't aware of this.
Anyway, just a few comments from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

I got the dealer to give me a new set of blades and that helped some. However, it still did not give the quality of cut that my Tiger Cats do nor the Turf Tiger I have run in the past as well do.

I tend to believe that engine RPM was a factor like you said. I turned it back in Wednesday afternoon. I am strongly considering another mower. I honestly don't see anything other than Scag. Awesome mowers, we have an awesome dealer.

Do any of you have experience with a 60" deck on a Tiger Cat?

I am running two Tiger Cats with 52".

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never operated a Tiger Cub/Cat with a 61" deck. My 60" Hustler is the only machine with a deck that size that I've operated to any extent and it is a rear discharge deck. If you do go with a 61" Tiger Cat, make sure that you will be able to load it into your trailer.
My 48" Tiger Cub has a collection system, but I sometimes install the mulch plate or the black chute. As the collection system fits onto a post that is bolted to the deck, I have installed a ring on the top of the chute so I can lock the chute in the retracted position by putting the ring over the post.
My Hustler is used in a local cemetery which is 200 years old with very irregular and bumpy lawn areas. We go thru lots of blades in a mowing season due to scalping and dirt erosion, not much we can do about it. This machine has two R/H turning blades and one L/H turning blade. The blade bolt for the L/H blade is also L/H thread.
My next machine, if and when, probably will be a Tiger Cat with a 52" deck, although I do like the Hustler X-ONE. :laughing::biggrin::smile:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never operated a Tiger Cub/Cat with a 61" deck. My 60" Hustler is the only machine with a deck that size that I've operated to any extent and it is a rear discharge deck. If you do go with a 61" Tiger Cat, make sure that you will be able to load it into your trailer.
My 48" Tiger Cub has a collection system, but I sometimes install the mulch plate or the black chute. As the collection system fits onto a post that is bolted to the deck, I have installed a ring on the top of the chute so I can lock the chute in the retracted position by putting the ring over the post.
My Hustler is used in a local cemetery which is 200 years old with very irregular and bumpy lawn areas. We go thru lots of blades in a mowing season due to scalping and dirt erosion, not much we can do about it. This machine has two R/H turning blades and one L/H turning blade. The blade bolt for the L/H blade is also L/H thread.
My next machine, if and when, probably will be a Tiger Cat with a 52" deck, although I do like the Hustler X-ONE. :laughing::biggrin::smile:

We cut all kinds of grass. We install fresh blades daily. I am not familiar with many of the mowers available. We have an excellent dealer that sells Kubota, and Scag. I ran a ZD326 Kubota for about 800 hours and traded it in on my second Tiger Cat Scag with a 52" deck. I still have a ZG222 Kubota.

Kubota makes quality equipment however in my opinion they are not even on the ball park with a Scag as far as quality of cut and several other little things.

For my operation a Tiger Cat Scag is hard to beat.