Long Storage Re-Start

brownra

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman 42" Briggs Rider. It has been in staorage 1yr.+ but ran great prior to that. I could have done a better job i know about storing but did not. When attempting to start, engine rotates to a point (not near enough rotation to fire) and stops. Engine not frozen. Without spark plug, it rotates freely. When fuel is addplied, and cracking without plug, fuel seems to appear to "spray" out plug hole.
Questions:
Can the starter stall under a load and not have enough to rotate engine?
Is this a compression issue?

What I've done so far:
Replaced fuels lines, filter, shut off vavle.
New spark plug

Thanks for your input and ideas!

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be compression related.

Check valve clearances.

Model type and code of engine would help.

Mikel1

Threads
The first thing I would check would be the battery since it's been in storage that long.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would check is the dip stick. You are checking to see if you have gas in the oil. If you have, you need to have the carb rebuilt, as the float needle is not sealing, allowing fuel to run from the tank, through the carb, through the cylinder, into the crankcase. You will also have to change the oil.

brownra

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first thing I would check would be the battery since it's been in storage that long.

Presently using battery charger so seem to have cranking amps available. Thanks

brownra

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing I would check is the dip stick. You are checking to see if you have gas in the oil. If you have, you need to have the carb rebuilt, as the float needle is not sealing, allowing fuel to run from the tank, through the carb, through the cylinder, into the crankcase. You will also have to change the oil.

Thanks for input. I'll check.

brownra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be compression related.

Check valve clearances.

Model type and code of engine would help.

Didn't check actual clearence but removed valve cover and rotated engine by hand and valves appear to be fuctioning with rotation. Neither appears stuck.