2014 Scag Cheetah/ 85 kawasaki, caught fire

khatanga

Forum Newbie
Threads
2014 Scag Cheetah/ 850 Kawasaki, caught fire
I have a 2014 61" Scag Cheetah with the 850 Kawasaki engine. Has anyone else had a problem with the wire harness or fuel recovery/emissions catching fire while operating ? It appeared to me that the wiring harness caught fire, but the distributor admittedly say's he has seen this happen, due to over filling the gas tanks and gas weeping into the emission canisters.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
2014 Scag Cheetah/ 850 Kawasaki, caught fire
I have a 2014 61" Scag Cheetah with the 850 Kawasaki engine. Has anyone else had a problem with the wire harness or fuel recovery/emissions catching fire while operating ? It appeared to me that the wiring harness caught fire, but the distributor admittedly say's he has seen this happen, due to over filling the gas tanks and gas weeping into the emission canisters.

Seeing the distributor admitted this they are the ones that should pay for the damages.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Scag operators manual is very adamant about not overfilling the fuel tank(s) on machines that have evaporative systems installed.
My 2012 Hustler X-ONE has a white liner in the fuel tanks which makes it easier to see the fuel level while refueling.
My 2008 Scag Tiger Cub doesn't have a fuel evaporative system, but if I overfill while refueling, I smell gasoline while operating the machine until the fuel level drops down.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Scag operators manual is very adamant about not overfilling the fuel tank(s) on machines that have evaporative systems installed.
My 2012 Hustler X-ONE has a white liner in the fuel tanks which makes it easier to see the fuel level while refueling.
My 2008 Scag Tiger Cub doesn't have a fuel evaporative system, but if I overfill while refueling, I smell gasoline while operating the machine until the fuel level drops down.

So what you are saying this is normal that a Scag burns up. Maybe Scag had better rethink something here.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
You know as well as I do that the entire story is never told.
It is either operator error or a major machine malfunction, most of the time it is operator error.
I don't know of a machine whose operators manual says that overfilling the fuel tanks is OK and not a problem.
One needs to read, understand and follow the directions/cautions stated in the operators manual for their specific machine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You know as well as I do that the entire story is never told.
It is either operator error or a major machine malfunction, most of the time it is operator error.
I don't know of a machine whose operators manual says that overfilling the fuel tanks is OK and not a problem.
One needs to read, understand and follow the directions/cautions stated in the operators manual for their specific machine.

I do agree that just maybe the complete story wasn't told here. Yes every machine the operators manual will say turn off machine and let cool before filling with gas. Just how many people do that and how many catch on fire. The OP was also talking about a wiring harness that caught on fire not the fuel. In his words, it appeared to me that the wiring harness caught on fire.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lots of operators refuel with the engine running and or hot, this makes it more important to know where the full level is to prevent overfilling and spilling fuel onto the machine particularly around a hot engine. The crappy CARB II acceptable fuel spouts and non vented containers that have been forced on us make refueling that much more tedious. I've broken too many of these crappy spouts and my old ones, some of which I've had for many years are now showing their age just like me!!!
As for the Scag Cheetah, the left hand fuel tank filler is close to the engine and several electrical harnesses. The loom around these harnesses will absorb fuel like a wick and being close to a hot engine can cause a fire hazard, this being the starter motor side of the engine. The right hand fuel tank fill is also close to the engine and the clutch harness is fairly close by.
Scag installs a filler neck insert to show the full level and has a side view silhouette diagram of a fuel tank on a machine with fuel evaporation systems installed in their operators manuals.
A hot air cooled engine will increase in temp just after shutdown as the cooling airflow has stopped, this is most noticeable on the muffler as its temp will rise quickly and then cool down quicker that the engine crankcase and cylinder heads.