Briggs 550EX

redfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am new to the forum and I have a question about a Briggs and Stratton 550EX motor that is on my Husqvarna push mower. I pulled the flywheel off and the crankshaft has play in it. With the flywheel on it, I can move the flywheel from side to side and when you spin it, it just wobbles around. I thought it might be the key or something but when I pulled the flywheel off, it just has a lot of play in it. It looks like where the crankshaft comes through the top of the block should have a bearing or something but I know it doesn't. Could somebody please tell me what this could be.
Thanks

primerbulb120

Threads
About how much play does the crankshaft have?

It would also be helpful if you could post a picture of the top of your engine where the crankshaft comes through the block.

redfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has enough play in it that with the flywheel on it, when it spins around to where the magnets on the flywheel come in contact with the coil, you can move it away from the coil with your hand. As far as how much movement, I am not sure but it does have a lot of play in it. I will have to take pics of it when I get home

redfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a bushing or something that is on the top of the block, behind the seal or something that should hold the crankshaft tighter to keep in from moving around.

redfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anybody have a detailed parts breakdown for the Briggs and Stratton 550EX that I can look at that would show something that I might be able to figure out what is going on with this motor. I have tried to pull up some on the internet and it looks like the only thing that would be holding the crankshaft straight without moving would be the seal. I am not sure if the seal would hold that but if it would, will somebody please let me know.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model number of the engine? It is somewhere around the muffler.

primerbulb120

Threads
Does anybody have a detailed parts breakdown for the Briggs and Stratton 550EX that I can look at that would show something that I might be able to figure out what is going on with this motor. I have tried to pull up some on the internet and it looks like the only thing that would be holding the crankshaft straight without moving would be the seal. I am not sure if the seal would hold that but if it would, will somebody please let me know.

The only part holding the crankshaft straight is the engine block. The oil seal is made of rubber and would not be strong enough to keep it straight.

Unfortunately it seems to me that either your crankshaft or engine block is worn or broken. I'd still like to see some pictures though, just to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.

Here's a page from Briggs and Stratton on where to find your model number: briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/need-help/push-mower-engines.html

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

No bearing at top or bottom of crank shaft unless it is incorporated into the housing.

redfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will have to get the number when I get home. I knew the seal would hold it but cannot figure out why the crank is doing this when it has not been used that much. I will send the number and pics when I get home