145 automatic cranking issues.

graybeard1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started having cranking issues with my 145 a couple of years ago. At first when I turned the ignition switch sometimes instead of the engine whirling over it would grunt the starter and then stop. I thought it was the safety switch on the brake and pushing the brake farther in or letting it out some the starter would finally engage. But that method was hit or miss and eventually the problem got worse,
I replaced the brake switch and problem persisted.
Since this mower has six or seven safety switches was having trouble locating and jumping them out to test them.
I decided to go directly from the battery to the solenoid, same result, a starter grunt then nothing. I checked the voltage readings at all of the terminals they were all within range.
Thinking I would jump off of my truck to eliminate the battery but the same result.
Next I decided to jump directly to the starter terminal, same result actually pulling down the truck idle.
Someone told me that some of the bigger engines had a relief valve to relieve cranking pressure during starting. He said if it in fact had one it could be stuck and the compression stroke was too much to overcome. I then noticed that the engine is very hard to turn over by hand.
If I remove one spark plug the engine spins freely.
A few days ago I finally got it started and moved the lawn , about 1 1/2 acres, I pulled into the garage and now it is leaking oil.
This mower is about 8 years old, it has a 22 hp B&S engine, I do a good maintenance program but to no avail.
This mower has been a problem forever.
If anyone has an answer to this problem I appreciate the help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post all numbers from engine data plate, thanks. Model xxxxxx, type xx, trim xx, I would start by adjusting valves with engine cold.

graybeard1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine Stats:
Model # 441777
Type # 0116 E1
Code # 051026YH

I don't think I understand what adjusting the valves would have to do with the engine cranking over.
It starts and runs fine when it cranks normally.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the valve lash is not correct then the decompression does not work. Take lots more to turn it over under full compression.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust intake & exhaust valves per manual specs. with engine cold: intake 0.004-0.006, exhaust 0.004-0.006. If valve adjustment is too loose, compression release on camshaft will not operate properly. If you need instructions for procedure just let us know.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While you are there, check the oil level and let us know what you find.

graybeard1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I adjusted the valves and the engine cranks and starts fine.
The engine is surging a little and it never did before, I don't think I have the valve clearance correct on all of the valves.
The adjustment was difficult because the adjusters are a torx bit with a locking nut, whenever I had the proper clearance and
tried to lock down then locking nut even though I was trying to hold the torx screw it seemed to get out of adjustment again.
I also had a difficult time knowing when the piston was exactly top. Maybe I am not adjusting on the right stroke.
Exhaust opens and closes then intake opens and closes, I assume this is where I am supposed to adjust both valves.
If this is not correct please tell me the proper procedure.
When I adjusted the valves on my motorcycle there was a mark to line up the crank. Maybe I am missing something here.
I did follow the procedure on youtube.
Thanks to all that shared info. it has been a great help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, I adjusted the valves and the engine cranks and starts fine.
The engine is surging a little and it never did before, I don't think I have the valve clearance correct on all of the valves.
The adjustment was difficult because the adjusters are a torx bit with a locking nut, whenever I had the proper clearance and
tried to lock down then locking nut even though I was trying to hold the torx screw it seemed to get out of adjustment again.
I also had a difficult time knowing when the piston was exactly top. Maybe I am not adjusting on the right stroke.
Exhaust opens and closes then intake opens and closes, I assume this is where I am supposed to adjust both valves.
If this is not correct please tell me the proper procedure.
When I adjusted the valves on my motorcycle there was a mark to line up the crank. Maybe I am missing something here.
I did follow the procedure on youtube.
Thanks to all that shared info. it has been a great help.

That is because the rockers are adjusted with the nut and locked with the torx grub screw.
A bit backwards to what you are used to doing so you might need to have another shot at it