cub cadet 1650 r p m's

jeff lesnansky

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 1650 cub's throttle cable came loose at the clamp on the motor. It calls for 3600 rpm's at full throttle. I can only get around 1500 to 1800 using a tach that raps around the spark plug wire. We tried the tach on two other engines and they measure 3600.Why can I only get 1500 without blowing up the motor while trying to get more. It runs ok setting it by ear. I want a reason that Im only showing half rpm's. Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My 1650 cub's throttle cable came loose at the clamp on the motor. It calls for 3600 rpm's at full throttle. I can only get around 1500 to 1800 using a tach that raps around the spark plug wire. We tried the tach on two other engines and they measure 3600.Why can I only get 1500 without blowing up the motor while trying to get more. It runs ok setting it by ear. I want a reason that Im only showing half rpm's. Thanks.

It's really hard to give you a reason for that if we don't know what engine you have. We need the model number for the engine. Would also be nice to know what tachometer you have.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also need the units model number so we know how your throttle control is attached to the engine.

jeff lesnansky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, for your interest.
The tractor is a 1650.
The model no is 2050067u542871.
The engine is a k341. The tach has an internal battery
and seems to work well on other engine's.It has one wire that you rap around the sparkplug wire. I'm stumped as to why
it only reads 1500 when the engine seems to be at top speed.It cuts grass well ,and doesn't bog down
I think I had it right by ear.
Any help is appreciated.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found no reason as to why the engine would be showing 1500 RPMs instead of 3600 RPMs. The only real possibility to me is that the gap on the spark plug is only .020. Maybe the Magneto's output is too low for your tachometer to read correctly. Just a guess.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you reinstalled the cable, did you load the throttle shaft first? By this I mean, with the cable loose and ttrot tittle control in the wide open position, did you pull the cable tight to hold the throttle shaft open before tightening the cable?

jeff lesnansky

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought tractor this past sunday. I knew that the throttle
cable outer housing was slipping in the clamp.
The cable was never loosened or adjusted on the carb.
I pulled the cable back in the clamp till just before
the govenor moved.It was ok ,seemed right, till I put the tach on it
Now I'm just wondering why I'm getting a low reading on the rpm's,because
I can hear that it is up to speed.Thanks again.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum :smile:

I'm going to move this thread on over to the Cub Cadet section.