Scotts 16hp/42" Cut Headlight question

wnehez

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone. First time poster. Just joined today. New to the riding mower scene. I just recently purchased a Scott's riding mower, 16hp and 42" cut, used. I know under the seat it says model 1642H but I think they are the same as S1642. I don't know. Lol. I feel like I got a good deal on it. It is in good condition, came with an extra oil filer, 4 air filters, a bagger, the cover for mulching. One thing I noticed is that the headlights do not turn on. I know I'm not going to be mowing at night, but I like when everything works as its supposed to. I tested the bulbs using a multimeter(new to using one of these also) So I held one of the probes to the side of the bulb and the other to the end. It went from displaying 1 to displaying 000. If I watched the youtube video correctly, that means it was working and good. I then touched the connections on the bulb socket. It didn't read anything until I turned the key off. Which would cause the numbers to rise quick then drop, which to means, it was getting some sort of power for the multimeter to read it. I don't know if I am using any of this equipment correctly or not. So if anyone has any ideas on what to test or what to check, let me know. I will try and give you as much info as possible. Thank you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
To get lights to work after you start engine you rotate key one notch to left. Look at key switch it should have picture of lights on it.

wnehez

Forum Newbie
Threads
To get lights to work after you start engine you rotate key one notch to left. Look at key switch it should have picture of lights on it.

OK. I will check it out when I get home. I do know there is a picture of a light bulb on the ignition. I thought there were only three positions on it though. One(left) is off, middle is run, right is start. Ill have to examine it when I get home. I will feel pretty embarrassed if that's what the problem is, but relieved its only something minuscule like that. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also, please be careful using that VOM. Hooking it up improperly or having it set on the wrong scale may cause you to spend alot of money for a stupid mistake.