Engine Loud Craftsman LT2000 Riding Mower

NoleFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys and gals,

New guy here referred from another forum.

My 2008 Craftsman LT2000 17.5 Intek (purchased new) has gotten louder the last few years. Much louder IMO than when it was new. I understand the blades/deck make a lot of noise, but with this turned off it is still pretty loud.

I wear hearing protection, but do want to quiet the engine down for the neighbors and to make sure nothing damaging is happening.

My first thought was just the muffler, and at about $30 I have no problem trying to see if that helps.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Some other people have suggested to me that these engines only last 5-6 years and it is just probably nearing the end of its lifecycle. This just makes me sad though, as even though it is a beginner level mower, it has been very good to me.

No idea on how many hours, but the oil is changed, new spark plug, etc. I do need to change the air filter again. The mower starts right away, no smoke, and doesn't backfire. :confused:

primerbulb120

Threads
Before you replace the muffler, make sure it's not loose and that the exhaust gasket(s) are in good condition. If everything looks okay, the muffler is probably just worn out.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Describe the noise. Is it only exhaust noise? My old Intek still works well after initial failures. It is a 2004 dyt 4000 . The hour meter quit and i refused to replace it, but the front tire treads are worn down. Bottom line....those who say the rig will only last a couple years are wrong , IMO, depending upon maintenance. Any engine can be seriously damaged in year one or even month one without care. Don't give up yet.

NoleFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before you replace the muffler, make sure it's not loose and that the exhaust gasket(s) are in good condition. If everything looks okay, the muffler is probably just worn out.

That being said, should I just take the whole muffler off while I am at it and give it a good shake to see if any baffles are loose?

NoleFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Describe the noise. Is it only exhaust noise? My old Intek still works well after initial failures. It is a 2004 dyt 4000 . The hour meter quit and i refused to replace it, but the front tire treads are worn down. Bottom line....those who say the rig will only last a couple years are wrong , IMO, depending upon maintenance. Any engine can be seriously damaged in year one or even month one without care. Don't give up yet.

Honestly it is hard to explain, I will try and take a video and get it uploaded. Sounds like it should (to me) just louder.

I love the little cheap Craftsman, it has been our first mower, and never given me any problems.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
As long as you are good to that motor it will not let you down. 5 or 6 years my behind.

primerbulb120

Threads
That being said, should I just take the whole muffler off while I am at it and give it a good shake to see if any baffles are loose?

Sounds like a good idea. Just don't whack it on anything, you don't want to knock anything loose.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am puzzled about the noise issue. I wear ear protection and my Intek has been noisy since new. As air cooled with mech tappets and small mufflers these things are inherently noisy. Have your neighbors complained? Perhaps your tolerance for the noise has been reduced? An aside. I have always been struck how quiet the (expensive) backhoes are. They dig ditches with hardly any engine noise, more like electric motor noise. Water jacketed engines help, and larger restrictive mufflers. It's a funny world. Some auto makers now create exhaust- like noise to make the upscale cars more "sporty." (Audi, BMW)

mhavanti

Threads
Are you speaking to exhaust noise or tappet, rocker arm noise?

You may need to adjust the rockers anyway.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am puzzled about the noise issue. I wear ear protection and my Intek has been noisy since new. As air cooled with mech tappets and small mufflers these things are inherently noisy. Have your neighbors complained? Perhaps your tolerance for the noise has been reduced? An aside. I have always been struck how quiet the (expensive) backhoes are. They dig ditches with hardly any engine noise, more like electric motor noise. Water jacketed engines help, and larger restrictive mufflers. It's a funny world. Some auto makers now create exhaust- like noise to make the upscale cars more "sporty." (Audi, BMW)

Ford Mustang has a pipe from the exhaust to the drivers compartment (gases do not go through)so the driver can hear the vroom vroom sound better.