Repairs JD L110 issues ignition coil, air filter housing, plugged gas line, mice oh my!

moltroub

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD L110 issues ignition coil, air filter housing, plugged gas line, mice oh my!
So my little L110 was trying to quit on me and my mechanic for the last three years is about a month behind. I've had a bit of several stays in hospital...I decided I could tackle this on my own, aargh! I used to do it before I became friends with so many nurses.

Decided to do a tune up starting with the air filter and spark plug. The mechanic, whom I've trusted has had the air filter installed incorrectly. This allowed a lot of dirt and dust to get everywhere as we have been using it to haul dirt for a garden and it's been dusty. I may have been on pharmaceuticals...

Problem #1). The mechanic had the rubber spacer piece on top of the old air filter and not under it. The air filter housing remains a good half inch away from the motor housing and I can't figure out how to get it back tight against the motor housing. Any ideas? I have already turned the screw around as it used to have a slight angle but it's not coming close to staying on the base and touching the square-ish opening.

Problem #2). A mouse or two had taken up residence and I took off the motor housing and cleaned the nest and stuff out. The mouse had chewed mostly through the spark plug wire which was wonderful to find when I went to pull the wire off the plug and it came right out, at least 6" or so did. This lead to

Problem #3) Replacing ignition coil. Tried several different business cards but none will get it to fire off. Yep, wire is on the new plug gapped at the 30. But I don't know what feeler gauge to use for the coil magnet. It's turning, I have lights, it just won't kick over. Anyone know what the setting is? I used .027

While replacing the fuel filter, gas did not come through the fuel line to the filter (this may have been my only problem before I got started). I decided it was plugged and took my compressor and blew out the line..had it out to take care of the mouse not paying rent in my lawn mower. I now get gas but noticed the fuel line is looking really ragged and wondered if I should go ahead and replace it. But what concerns me is the black rubber gasket? Pieces that I see down at the bottom of the tank. I know I have to
A) drain gas tank into gas can
B) clean the tank

Is this going to be problem #4 and I have to remove the tank? Did I muck up when I blew the line back into the tank?I'm not going to winch the back up as I have seen others do, I will take the thing apart. I thought of taking a wet/dry shop vac and trying to get whatever I can out, but I may blow something up, heck I don't know. My hand is too big to fit into the tank, so just getting in and cleaning with a brush and rag sounds futile. Most of what I've read says dismantle, clean by shaking it with some water and detergent, rinse well air dry, good to go. My luck seems to say I'm related to that guy Murphy and his law. Have any of you cleaned the tank without removing and if so what did you do? Think of me as being about five years old and need careful step by step directions....

Thanks all for any help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / JD L110 issues ignition coil, air filter housing, plugged gas line, mice oh my!
Your questions would be a lot easier for us to answer if we knew what engine by model number you are trying to service. From your description sound like a Kohler but which one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ditto to Ilengine
However for the fuel tank
1) do not use any form of vacuum cleaner as the wind usually goes through the motor past the hot coils and the sparking communator ---- BANG.
You can use a vacuum oil pump or vacuum brake bleeder or sililar to suck the gunk from the bottom of the tank then run it through a spray paint filter and back into the tank.
The coils also contain the trigger unit and if this is a Kohler then good chance it has a SAM module which will make it even more complicated.
If it is a Kohler with the sort of triangular air filter they do not sit tight against the engine.
And there are two different sizes in these air filters.

moltroub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, it is a Kohler 17.5 hp Diap (cc) 490 Model CV4918. Spec 27509. Thank you so much for replying!

moltroub

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the air filter, I thought the housing slid down the rectangular block on the motor housing, sorry don't know if it's called a key or not. There is an outline of the air filter housing (looks cleaner and still dark black) that's in the same shape of the air filter cap. I really appreciate your help! And I really appreciate your safety advice!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you see bits of gas line rubber there's a good chance it's also in the carb, maybe jamming the inlet needle so it is not free to open and close properly. The evidence of mice suggests your engine may have run above "normal" temperature which can fry the solid state parts in the ignition module. I think the business card gap is around .010"-.015." That is usually not the problem. The fact that you can see "light" (?spark) doesn't necessarily mean all is well. Use an inline tester or an old plug gapped out to .125" (l/8 inch) to see if the spark will jump. You have good people helping you (above). Keep talking to the nurses...no better people.

moltroub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! My brother died a few years back and he was my go to guy. Would tell me how to fix things over the phone and I'd go do it... I have no words to thank all of you for filling in for his little sister...

I am using this manual - https://www.kohler-engine-parts.ope...4_CV15_CV16_CV460-465_CV490-495_DATE_4_11.pdf

I noticed today that it says to set the plug at .040 and I'll bet dollars to donuts I have it at .030

The Ignition module air gap says 0.200/0.300 (0.0078/0.0118 in). I took that to mean put the feeler gauge in across the sides and in front of the magnet. Like holding your finger under your nose. But does it mean the leading side and the far side get different gauges? Like putting a different finger on either side of your nose?

Sorry to be such a pain...I think I will owe someone a beer, wine or coffee or even water

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
When I need to set an air gap, I grab a sheet of standard printer paper, cut it into three strips, stack the strips and stick them between the flywheel and ignition coil. Then I rotate the flywheel until the magnets line up with the coil and let the magnets pull the coil up against the paper. Tighten the ignition coil bolts and remove the paper. Basically this method just uses paper instead of feeler gauges.