JD, Gravely or Hustler...

primerbulb120

Threads
Just wondering? Why are you saying John Deere is poor quality and overpriced? I really don't find them any better or worst then anything else that come through my shop. You have to also remember which model you are buying and you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap model John Deere, that is what you get. John Deere is a well establish company that's been around for many years. The OP said he would spend 4000 dollars, so he should be able to buy a better model in what ever he buys.

It's not so much the tractors that are over priced, it's the parts that are over priced. As for quality, read this: tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-ag-tractors/314432-john-deere-quality-control-problems.html

Some people still find the JD name to be synonymous with quality. Others, like me, believe that you can get a better deal elsewhere.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not so much the tractors that are over priced, it's the parts that are over priced. : .

Don't know how many parts you use in your shop. I work on a lot of different types of equipment in my shop. Parts aren't cheap for anything. Just last week I paid 50 dollars for a air filter on a ATV. Today in my shop I priced a potentiometer for a handi- cap electric scooter for 30 dollars. Its just not John Deere that has overpriced parts. Start comparing part prices between JD, Gravely or Hustler and you wouldn't see much different. .

primerbulb120

Threads
Don't know how many parts you use in your shop. I work on a lot of different types of equipment in my shop. Parts aren't cheap for anything. Just last week I paid 50 dollars for a air filter on a ATV. Today in my shop I priced a potentiometer for a handi- cap electric scooter for 30 dollars. Its just not John Deere that has overpriced parts. Start comparing part prices between JD, Gravely or Hustler and you wouldn't see much different. .

Give me the part number for the ATV air filter and I'll find it for less than $50. (That is, unless it's a John Deere ATV.:laughing:)

A set of drive wheels for a JD self propelled mower is $55+. A set of drive wheels for a Craftsman self propelled is $20.
The choke lever for a JD string trimmer is $11.99. Choke lever for a Ryobi trimmer is 75 cents.

Just do a google search for "John Deere over priced parts." Then do a search for "Hustler over priced parts" and see how the results compare. You will find plenty of people complaining about JD parts prices, but the same can't be said about Hustler.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The air filter from the local dealer was for a Polaris Scrambler 500 with a pre filter. No part numbers because the job is done and gone. When the customer wants his ATV yesterday I don't shop for parts. He has to pay to play. It seems you buy a lot more parts then me so you must have a wholesale account. I personally don't care because this is just a retirement job for me. So I say don't buy a John Deere because they are overpriced and a big pile of junk :thumbsup:

primerbulb120

Threads
The air filter from the local dealer was for a Polaris Scrambler 500 with a pre filter. No part numbers because the job is done and gone. When the customer wants his ATV yesterday I don't shop for parts. He has to pay to play. It seems you buy a lot more parts then me so you must have a wholesale account. I personally don't care because this is just a retirement job for me. So I say don't buy a John Deere because they are overpriced and a big pile of junk :thumbsup:

I repair machines as a hobby and I don't have any wholesale accounts. I would have bought the ATV air filter on eBay and saved the customer $35: ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=scrambler+500+air+filter&_sop=15

Hmm, I think this thread has gone off topic. :rolleyes:

mich3210

Threads
Met with the JD Dealer last night.... very happy with the customer service so far! It's the only dealer that has been willing to bring a unit out to my house to let me give try on my property. He was also able to do better on the price for the z445 with the Kawasaki motor if it's a cash deal with no t. I really liked the unit. Might try to visit the Hustler dealer on Saturday, but so far none of the other dealers that I've talked to have been as accommodating.

primerbulb120

Threads
It's your money and your purchase, if you like JD the best go with it. JD products may not be the best, but they have a reputation for good customer service and friendly dealers. :smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Met with the JD Dealer last night.... very happy with the customer service so far! It's the only dealer that has been willing to bring a unit out to my house to let me give try on my property. He was also able to do better on the price for the z445 with the Kawasaki motor if it's a cash deal with no t. I really liked the unit. Might try to visit the Hustler dealer on Saturday, but so far none of the other dealers that I've talked to have been as accommodating.

Lakeland John Deere is the dealer we have here north of you and I have found them very helpful when I go to them for parts. I just order them on line and they have them waiting for me at the dealer when I go get them. I bought a mower from them in 1980 and the sales man still remembers me as I walk into the dealer. I have always had top service with John Deere and if I was to buy a new mower it would be one of my top choices. I really don't know why John Deere is hated so much on this forum. As on the repair side I find them just as well made as any other brand. Also this being said I do like my Ferris. You will pay more for a Ferris but it will be many years before you will ever need another mower ( if maintained right).

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not hate John Deere at all. But you said it "As on the repair side I find them just as well made as any other brand" Now they cost more than other brands if comparing apples to apples. Heck I own a JD f925 with 72" out front deck and a snow broom. Awesome machine but I also bought it right.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I repair machines as a hobby and I don't have any wholesale accounts. I would have bought the ATV air filter on eBay and saved the customer $35: ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=scrambler+500+air+filter&_sop=15

Hmm, I think this thread has gone off topic. :rolleyes:

Yes the poor customer and you would also give him free labor because you love your hobby so much. If they don't like my prices go elsewhere. They will just take the ATV and pound it into the ground in a couple of weeks and I can fix it for a little of nothing, I don't think so. As I said they play they pay. It looked like they ran this bike through a swamp and I spent 2 days getting it to run again and you say I can save the customer 35 dollars. This is something you don't get into working on mower and lawn equipment. Now do you really think the ATV dealer would feel sorry for them because ATV dealers gets 100 dollars per hour for labor.

Yes this thread has gone off topic when I seen how I could save some jerk 35 dollars.