Briggs 18 HP Opposed Twin Ticking

darrinster

Threads
Model: 422707-1510-01

Has a ticking noise mainly coming from the right side if your in front of the engine.

Starts up good, seems to run good except for the ticking.

I got this mower late last year and just now started working on it. I read some where it could be the valves and not to worry about it?

Recorded a video of it running if you want to check it out. If need be I can redo the video if it's no help. Link to video > https://youtu.be/KHfEcQr5XeQ

Tinkerer200

Threads
On person's ticking may be an others clunking. Ticking would indicate excessive valve clearance.

Walt Conner

darrinster

Threads
On person's ticking may be an others clunking. Ticking would indicate excessive valve clearance.

Walt Conner

I have another opposed twin I could put on it. It's currently on a rusty Lowes.

I've been fixing up riding mowers that probably should just stay dead. This one with the opposed twin is a Yard Man with the crappy deck that engages the blades as you lower it. I'm 100% done with fixing this type of riding mowers.

I guess I'll try and swap them out and put the ticking opposed on something else for my own personal use..

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just adjust the valve lash it should not take over 15 min.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just adjust the valve lash it should not take over 15 min.

Blaz, where doyou get these numbers from
The horizontally opposed engines are all flat heads.
The book time is 2,5 hours .
and I am yet to do one in under 4 hours and that was after the shop was closed, phone turned off and flat out start to finish.
It is a really big job, both heads have to come off as does the carb o get at the valve chests.
There are 4 impossible to get at screws holding the cowel on on the operator side of the engine.
Then when you have finished there is retuning the engine

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Blaz, where doyou get these numbers from
The horizontally opposed engines are all flat heads.
The book time is 2,5 hours .
and I am yet to do one in under 4 hours and that was after the shop was closed, phone turned off and flat out start to finish.
It is a really big job, both heads have to come off as does the carb o get at the valve chests.
There are 4 impossible to get at screws holding the cowel on on the operator side of the engine.
Then when you have finished there is retuning the engine

I have worked on a few opposed twin before and was not thinking of it when answering this post. Just thinking in my head (my head was not working as we can tell) it was over head valves. Sorry for the confusion.

John R

Threads
Not an expert, but that sounds like a rod knock to me.