briggs and stratton 3hp

captainhastings

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks not sure if rotavators are allowed but just bought this and it starts great but under load it will frequently smoke and lot and go to stall. Seems to be constantly struggling. For starters I took the air filter home last night and washed it as that was very dirty and oily.
Oddly enough in the instructions it says to put 3 table spoons of clean oil on before put it back.
I have not tried it with a clean filter yet but just looking for ideas.

25885421403_2dcb180cf0_c.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Manual is correct, clean and reoil filter. Looking at your pick I would start looking for the problem by cleaning the tank and the carb. If that doesn't solve your problem, the next thing I would do is pull the head and inspect the cylinder and valves. You have an engine that is at least 30 years old, it might be just worn out.

primerbulb120

Threads
Hi folks not sure if rotavators are allowed but just bought this and it starts great but under load it will frequently smoke and lot and go to stall. Seems to be constantly struggling. For starters I took the air filter home last night and washed it as that was very dirty and oily.
Oddly enough in the instructions it says to put 3 table spoons of clean oil on before put it back.
I have not tried it with a clean filter yet but just looking for ideas.

25885421403_2dcb180cf0_c.jpg

What color is the smoke?

Mikel1

Threads
Manual is correct, clean and reoil filter. Looking at your pick I would start looking for the problem by cleaning the tank and the carb. If that doesn't solve your problem, the next thing I would do is pull the head and inspect the cylinder and valves. You have an engine that is at least 30 years old, it might be just worn out.

I agree with this.
I recently went thru this with an old tiller. Engine 35 years old, rusty tank, leak down test blowing into crankcase. Not worth fixing for me, put new engine in.

captainhastings

Forum Newbie
Threads
cheers folks be a shame i its knackered as I only just got it. One thing I did remember on the way home it tipped over in the boot so maybe oil got where it shouldn't when that happened. Filter has come up nice and clean so will be testing tomorrow. I think the smoke was white (will confirm tomorrow) and it sounded like it was missing
Would it be worth changing the plug though it starts perfectly ?

Mikel1

Threads
It wouldn't hurt if you wanted to replace it. It may have missed from burning oil.

captainhastings

Forum Newbie
Threads
well clean air filter and replaced the old plug and it started first pull and never smoke or struggled once. Performed like a beast well happy :)

25923643464_d083824edd_c.jpg