Want to get grass to grow

Kory

Forum Newbie
Threads
My wife and I bought our dream home last year. It was already beautifully landscaped as far as trees, bushes, plants and flowers but the grass is not so good. I'd say it's 95% weeds. I know little about this sort of thing and don't really like yard work, actually hate it,but I can't afford to pay someone else to do it and my wife is on me about it. So I've read some on the internet and it seems the 1st step is a soil test. I just sent that out through our local Southern States. I guess my question right now is with most of the lawn being weed, is it easier to just till it all up and start over once I find out what the soil needs? I guess I should mention that there are a handfull of hardwoods scattered around the yard. Most of the yard gets alot of sun but a few areas are shaded quite a bit.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to kill it or it will come back and haunt you. I use a 5 step program from a local Farm and Home place. Then over seed in fall.

lewb

Threads
I guess I will add that plan A; would be to try and get rid of the weeds while supporting the grass that is still there. 2-4D is the old school broad leaf killer that has a distinctive smell that all lawn service companies uses to control weeds. You can find that at a farm and home store (TSC) in gallons concentrated where you mix with water. 2-4D will not touch grass. After you get the weeds taken care of you can rent a seeder that has a bin and disks that open up the dirt for the seed to be placed. This way you can say yourself one step.

Plan B; would be to kill everything, till and re-seed or sod. Will take approximately 2 years for a re-seeded lawn to come in.

Either method you will need to fertilize, I have been using Miloganite which is an organic slow release product. It is applied at twice the rate of a normal fertilizer (scotts). You will not burn the lawn with Miloganite and it will help build up your organic matter. My lawn is 5000 sq ft, it costs me 22.00 per application which I do 4 times a year. For weeds I use crab grass preventer in spring and spot spray for broad leafs when they appear. Once you get your lawn thick it will help to prevent weeds from getting traction.

Very important is to get the appropriate kind of grass seed, if you have a lot of shade that will be a different mix than a full sun grass seed. You might need two different grass mixes for your lawn. The mix is on the package.

williamkrobins

Forum Newbie
Threads
First of all you should know some conditions to grow grass.You should be well aware about what kind of grass to grow in which soil.The type of soil decide whether the grass would be growing effortlessly or there would be simply weed.Also climatic factor is important too.If you choose a warm-season grass, plant in late-spring. If you choose a cold-season grass, plant in late summer or early fall.Now since you dont want to spent money i won't be suggesting lawn care contractors.But I think you should look out for gardening northside, since there service is best and cheaper too.They made my lawn look beautiful and that too with very reasonable amount.Have a look at their website and you could definitely get something out of it.

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
30 years ago I followed my grandfathers advice and worked good - killed the weeds with amine 24d from the farm store then added more seed - think it worked pretty well

first one front yard that was a disaster when i moved in and last one was a pool a year ago
P4270021b.jpgP4270022b.jpg

Brownieboy

Threads
Hiring a landscaping or lawn care company to fix the lawn and then you could maintain it. I know that money is tight but you could spend the time that you would be spending figuring out how to fix this making money at your job or starting a business. Once the landscaping company fixes your grass than all youll have to do is maintain it.