Lawn Boy 1995 #10301 Self Propelled /Mower with Plastic Carb

dmtaurus

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawn Boy 1995 #10301 Self Propelled /Mower with Plastic Carb
I replaced the factory mounted carb body on this mower about 5 years ago because it was warped on the engine-side sealing surface. The plastic either warps under engine heat or 10% ethanol gas, or from both. At the time the body was $35.00. Now, the body is no longer available, just the whole carb itself as a replacement part for
$135.00. No way am I spending that on a 1995 mower; I'll buy another mower. I did take a heat gun and was able to heat and re-form the sealing surface to get is to run. The mower ran like new for 2 weeks until the carb body warped again. The carb mounting screws are tight but not over-tight.

Looking at a service manual, Lawn Boy in 1993 put a Walbro LMR-16 aluminum body (it is probably a much better carb) as a carb on the F-series engines while at the same time installing the cheap junk plastic carbs they also put on. What I am needing to know is if I find a LMR-16 Walbro carb, will it bolt on in place of the junk plastic carb? The mower ran great and the self propelled works like new.

primerbulb120

Threads
I've never worked on a Lawn-Boy mower before so I'm not sure if this would work. But if I were you I would get some high temp gasket maker from the auto parts store and use it to seal the gaps between the carb and the engine. I've done it before on Briggs and Stratton air filter housings and it works fairly well. I can post a picture if you're not sure what I mean.

unclelee

Threads
Not sure about the walbro swap, which would be the way to go if it will work. But I have seen people true up the sealing side of the plastic carbs on a belt sander.
Lee

lewb

Threads
I think you should be able to true of the surface or get a thicker gasket, any auto parts store has gasket material to make you own out of. Also E-bay should be able to get a replacement for 20.00 or so, (entire carb). I have a body off a 4.75 94 model that I could sell you I believe. I think you need to figure out why its getting too hot. What is your mix ratio? More than 32 to 1 will cause more heat. Ethanol could also be the issue, might need to drill the main jet to richen up the mixture.

Lawnboy77

Threads
That Walbro swap should work if you elect to go that route. That's a pretty common upgrade on the Gold Series lawn boys from 1993 to 1995. I've done it on a 19 incher, basically turned a 1995 10401 into a 1993 10400. Even though yours is a V series it should be basically the same, just bump the parts catalogue for the 1995 model against the 1993 model to see what parts are different. Parts that are likely needed would be throttle cable, air box, heat shield and 2 each gaskets and of course the Walbro carb.

bogdaN

Threads
I replaced the factory mounted carb body on this mower about 5 years ago because it was warped on the engine-side sealing surface. The plastic either warps under engine heat or 10% ethanol gas, or from both. At the time the body was $35.00. Now, the body is no longer available, just the whole carb itself as a replacement part for
$135.00. No way am I spending that on a 1995 mower; I'll buy another mower. I did take a heat gun and was able to heat and re-form the sealing surface to get is to run. The mower ran like new for 2 weeks until the carb body warped again. The carb mounting screws are tight but not over-tight.

Looking at a service manual, Lawn Boy in 1993 put a Walbro LMR-16 aluminum body (it is probably a much better carb) as a carb on the F-series engines while at the same time installing the cheap junk plastic carbs they also put on. What I am needing to know is if I find a LMR-16 Walbro carb, will it bolt on in place of the junk plastic carb? The mower ran great and the self propelled works like new.

I am sure that I have some of those carbs.Send me some pic,s and I look in to it.Dan