Dreaded Briggs Flat Head Gas/Oil Spitting into carb

jakesmurray

Threads
So this is the second Briggs flat head that I've had do this. This one is a 10.5 HP Model 28D707 Type 0123-01 Code 960716ZB. Upon a cold startup, it will run for about two minutes, then it starts spitting a gas and oil mixture into the intake from the breather tube coming out of the engine block. Once the engine is warm, it starts spitting immediately upon startup. Of course the engine will not run like this, as it chokes itself out. I set up a test using an empty oil bottle connected to the breather hose (see pic). The engine ran flawlessly while I drove the mower around the yard, as it was spitting into the bottle and not the intake and carb. I then poured the fluid into a clear bottle to see how much came out. The ride was about 2 minutes, and it filled the bottle with about 6 oz of fluid. That is excessive in my opinion. It shouldn't spit out any fluid, correct? So what causes this and how hard is the repair? It seems like a shame to have an engine running this well to basically get choked out by itself. By the way, I never did figure out the previous engine that did this, I ended up selling it as-is.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

jakesmurray

Threads
My preliminary research here on the site is indicating a possible blown head gasket. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm fairly certain it's not a carburetor issue, as the engine runs flawlessly when the breather tube is taken away from the engine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are getting way too much crankcase pressure. Yes a head gasket will do that or a bad piston.

jakesmurray

Threads
You are getting way too much crankcase pressure. Yes a head gasket will do that or a bad piston.

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by 'bad piston'? I would think that would cause less pressure in the crankcase...

Tinkerer200

Threads
No mention was made about oil level. Crankcase full of gasoline will do it also and much more common than blown head gasket on flat head B&S.

Walt Conner

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
No mention was made about oil level. Crankcase full of gasoline will do it also and much more common than blown head gasket on flat head B&S.

Walt Conner
Yes I agree, always good for more ideas.

Bad Piston , compression going from the top of the piston into the crankcase making crankcase pressure, can be anywhere form a hole in the piston, bad cylinder walls, worn out rings. Start with Tinkerer's idea first, over filled with oil because you did say it ran good. Piston would be the last thing to check. A good test for the piston is called a leak down test.

jakesmurray

Threads

Walt Conner

Crankcase is indeed full of gasoline, more gas than oil as a matter of fact. Is this the needle and seat causing this?

jakesmurray

Threads
Yes I agree, always good for more ideas.

Bad Piston , compression going from the top of the piston into the crankcase making crankcase pressure, can be anywhere form a hole in the piston, bad cylinder walls, worn out rings. Start with Tinkerer's idea first, over filled with oil because you did say it ran good. Piston would be the last thing to check. A good test for the piston is called a leak down test.

I gotcha, that makes sense.
I've heard of a leak down test, but never performed one myself.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Crankcase is indeed full of gasoline, more gas than oil as a matter of fact. Is this the needle and seat causing this?

Yes it is not closing to shut off gas flow.
I could tell it had gas in the oil in picture 1.

jakesmurray

Threads
Yes it is not closing to shut off gas flow.
I could tell it had gas in the oil in picture 1.

I could test this by removing the bowl and pushing up on the float to see if it stops flow, correct?