Repairs Older Honda HRB215SXC Drive issue

Gerbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Honda Mower (owners manual dated 1992) has worked great for many years. In recent years the transmission would engage in a limited way, pulling, but skipping and fading if going up the grade - essentially becoming a heavy push mower. I have a riding mower - this mower is used for areas the larger Craftsman does not get into.

I have replaced the two axle drive gears, springs and keys and put on new wheels as they were really worn. Still no power to the wheels. When I lift the wheels off the shop floor, they turn, but will not pull on the ground.

The tolerances on the drive clutch cable and the 2 speed transmission lever are as set out in the manual. The pulley spring and the spring on the transmission cable lever are intact and in place. They were replaced in 2013.

Is this an adjustment issue -or a transmission repair or replacement issue? Are parts available for this machine in Canada and is it worth it to put any more $$ into it?

Ava.Feret

Threads
I have had problems with these transmissions. They were made in France and the plastic lever wears. If I was going to do a replacement I would and I have replaced with the Variable speed transmission.
Also the 1,2,3 speed units have a relief port. If this gets clogged it builds up pressure and the oil leaks out.
Yes, many units being used for just home use last. But, when they were ran commercially they failed.
The design for the Variable speed is excellent.

Gerbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Older Honda HRB215SXC Drive issue - More Problems

I installed the drive gears, pawls and springs correctly - and pushing the mower yesterday the wheels locked up. Mostly on the left side. I still cannot get the transmission to engage

Can any forum member provide me insight into how to resolve the issues? Will the transmission respond to adjustment or should it be replaced and which tranny would be the correct one?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Older Honda HRB215SXC Drive issue - More Problems

I installed the drive gears, pawls and springs correctly - and pushing the mower yesterday the wheels locked up. Mostly on the left side. I still cannot get the transmission to engage

Can any forum member provide me insight into how to resolve the issues? Will the transmission respond to adjustment or should it be replaced and which tranny would be the correct one?

I've got a couple of pages on the (USA-spec) transmissions I can send you, so drop me a PM with your email address.

Do you happen to know if the trans. is the Dana/Spicer version or the Tuff Torque version?

I believe the USA and Canada-spec HRB mowers used the same transmissions, but maybe not.

javjacob

Threads
Is the transmission powered through a belt? If so maybe the belt is worn and slipping?