Small Zero Turn

Levi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for a small size zero turn with wide tires. Ant input would be appreciated.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking for a small size zero turn with wide tires. Ant input would be appreciated.

What brands do you have available in your area? Are you looking for a 36" or 42" deck? What is your budget? Most small ztr mowers have similar tire sizes. Why are wider tires important in your situation? We need a little more info if you want some help.

Levi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply and I should have been more specific. I went to the local Toro Dealer to check out the 32" Timecutter but the Dealer suggested the 42" model as it has wider tires which apparently help with traction on slopes areas. I have a small yard around 6000 SF but part of it is sloped. I don't see the need for a 42" machine and not stuck on Toro but thought there might be a 28" to 34" machine oiut there that would have wider tires than the Time cutter which has 18 x 6 x 8 rear tires. Need the zero turn feature if possible due to many trees and bushes but maybe should get something like a Snapper riding mower as I don't have store space for the larger machines. Again, any advise would be appreciated.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
As far as tire size the Raptor SD 36" deck has 20 x 6.5 - 10 rear tires the one you looked at has 18 x 6 x 8 rear tires

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the reply and I should have been more specific. I went to the local Toro Dealer to check out the 32" Timecutter but the Dealer suggested the 42" model as it has wider tires which apparently help with traction on slopes areas. I have a small yard around 6000 SF but part of it is sloped. I don't see the need for a 42" machine and not stuck on Toro but thought there might be a 28" to 34" machine oiut there that would have wider tires than the Time cutter which has 18 x 6 x 8 rear tires. Need the zero turn feature if possible due to many trees and bushes but maybe should get something like a Snapper riding mower as I don't have store space for the larger machines. Again, any advise would be appreciated.

Depending on how steep your slope is, you may be better off with a rider. Low end ztr mowers aren't great on slopes. Wider tires help some, but the bigger issues is weight distribution. The front wheels on ztr mowers swivel freely, therefore, the only wheels holding it into the hillside are the rear wheels. Small low end ztr mowers don't have the weight, or traction to stay on the hill. If you are dead set on a ztr mower then I suggest the cub cadet rzt s series mower. It utilizes a steering wheel. The smallest size deck is 42", but it will handle the hillside much better than any other low end ztr mower that is lever driven.

Levi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Depending on how steep your slope is, you may be better off with a rider. Low end ztr mowers aren't great on slopes. Wider tires help some, but the bigger issues is weight distribution. The front wheels on ztr mowers swivel freely, therefore, the only wheels holding it into the hillside are the rear wheels. Small low end ztr mowers don't have the weight, or traction to stay on the hill. If you are dead set on a ztr mower then I suggest the cub cadet rzt s series mower. It utilizes a steering wheel. The smallest size deck is 42", but it will handle the hillside much better than any other low end ztr mower that is lever driven.

Thanks again folks for the information. I am learning more each day by surfing the net for info. and this Forum. Went to the local dealer today to check out a Raptor mower as the specs on them look pretty good but the Dealer doesn't stock them and was not that positive about a Raptor. They stock the green Bob Cat which way over my head and too large. Dealer informed that small zero turns are not that popular and suggested I look into a Snapper riding lawn mower for no more yard than I have so I am not doing to well. My goal with the yard is have the perimeter fence line and trees, etc.cut back enough with Roundup so all I need to do is mow with a zero turn or small riding mower. Hope that makes sense and when you say I might be better off with a rider are you referring to a conventional tractor type rider or something like the Snapper?

Thanks, Levi

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks again folks for the information. I am learning more each day by surfing the net for info. and this Forum. Went to the local dealer today to check out a Raptor mower as the specs on them look pretty good but the Dealer doesn't stock them and was not that positive about a Raptor. They stock the green Bob Cat which way over my head and too large. Dealer informed that small zero turns are not that popular and suggested I look into a Snapper riding lawn mower for no more yard than I have so I am not doing to well. My goal with the yard is have the perimeter fence line and trees, etc.cut back enough with Roundup so all I need to do is mow with a zero turn or small riding mower. Hope that makes sense and when you say I might be better off with a rider are you referring to a conventional tractor type rider or something like the Snapper?

Thanks, Levi

When you say snapper I am guessing that you are talking about a rear engine rider ( snapper makes rear engine riders, lawn tractors, and ztr mowers). A rear engine rider or a lawn tractor one would be fine on the lawn you described. Craftsman lawn tractors have a tight turn radius. A rear engine rider snapper is going to cost you as much as the cub cadet rzt s series I mentioned. If you are dad set on a ztr mower, then the rzt is definately worth a look.

Levi

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you say snapper I am guessing that you are talking about a rear engine rider ( snapper makes rear engine riders, lawn tractors, and ztr mowers). A rear engine rider or a lawn tractor one would be fine on the lawn you described. Craftsman lawn tractors have a tight turn radius. A rear engine rider snapper is going to cost you as much as the cub cadet rzt s series I mentioned. If you are dad set on a ztr mower, then the rzt is definately worth a look.

Once again, I should be specific and yes I was referring to a rear engine Snapper. You are correct, a new model 210 is around $2K which is a liitle much compared to almost any 42" zero turn. Not stuck on any particular brand but must say the Raptor video on the net shows where it can handle a 15 degree slope pretty well compared to a Tractor. In the real world does the Cub RTZ with a steering wheel have a close turning radius like a lever ZT?

Thanks, Levi

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once again, I should be specific and yes I was referring to a rear engine Snapper. You are correct, a new model 210 is around $2K which is a liitle much compared to almost any 42" zero turn. Not stuck on any particular brand but must say the Raptor video on the net shows where it can handle a 15 degree slope pretty well compared to a Tractor. In the real world does the Cub RTZ with a steering wheel have a close turning radius like a lever ZT?

Thanks, Levi

The Rzt s is a zero turn mower. Just uses steering wheel. Turns the front tires, and the hydros work in unison. It will handle a hill better than another low end ztr mower.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thanks, Levi

Have you maybe considered buying a better mower or should I say a higher end mower that you could maybe get off Craigslist used. Sometimes you can get a low hour mower/ztr at a good price.