Toro Personal Pace

Rickcin

Threads
Have a Toro and it is about 10 hers old. Always starts right up and for the winter I let it run out of gas. Today I tried to start it, about 50 pulls and there is no way it will start. The spark plug looks good. What do I do rather than bring it to a shop?

Thanls

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the air filter and spray some carb cleaner directly into the air horn. Start the engine and see if it will run. You may have to do this a couple of time. Report back what you find, with unit and engine numbers.

Rickcin

Threads
Remove the air filter and spray some carb cleaner directly into the air horn. Start the engine and see if it will run. You may have to do this a couple of time. Report back what you find, with unit and engine numbers.

After I posted, I was thinking than when I let it run out of gas it probably brought up some bottom junk that is causing a clog.

I will follow you recommendation and assume an Auto Zone store will have carb cleaner?

Rickcin

Threads

Okay, I bought some carburetor starter fluid, sprayed it in there and then the engine started and runs for several seconds only so it definitely fuel or debris in the line or carburetor.

What's next????

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model numbers of the engine and I will post a detailed procedure on how to proceed. Working 10 hour days, so I'll get back to you ASAP.

Rickcin

Threads
Post the model numbers of the engine and I will post a detailed procedure on how to proceed. Working 10 hour days, so I'll get back to you ASAP.

Model # 20017
Ser # 220017448

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those are the Toro model numbers, not the Tecumseh engine numbers. By you post I hope that you don't get in over your head, for someone not knowing the difference. You will need carb kit number 631021B from your local dealer and then follow this procedure.

Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. *Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. *If it does, replace. *If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: *On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. *Under this cover will be an idle jet. *Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. *You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

Rickcin

Threads
Thanks for the detailed info however I don't think I'm capable of rebuilding the carb

I thought perhaps it was just a fuel/clog issue and perhaps just remove the bowel nut from the carb and clean it or just run some liquid cleaner through the carb to get it running. I don't plan on keeping the mower but need to cut my grass until the house sells.

Trying to avoid bringing it to the shop since I am sure the repair will be greater than $100.

Thanks for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For me to do the carb as I posted with an ultrasonic cleaner takes less than 30 minutes or for about $50. Take this post in to your local shop an as them to give you a quote to just do the procedure as I posted. May surprise you as to what they say.