Honda HRX217HYA Semi-permanent Storage

J-D-H

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new Honda HRX217HYA mower in Oct 2014. The mower had carb problems so it was returned to the dealer for repair. By then the mowing season was over, so the mower was put into storage after only an hour or two of running time. Then before the following spring, I was found to need a major surgery, so we've had to hire someone to mow our lawn ever since. It now looks like this may be a permanent situation, but we want to keep the Honda mower just in case it's needed. I initially treated the gas tank with Sta-Bil as well as Seafoam, but now I want to do a better job of prepping the mower for storage. Here's my tentative plan:

Run the mower for awhile to make sure it's still okay (probably with a dose of SeaFoam in the tank to clean the carb, the jet, etc.?). Then I will stop it, let it cool down, empty the gas tank in some way (siphon? maybe the fuel line can be conveniently removed to empty it?), and then drain the carb (can the screw on the bottom of the float bowl be used for this purpose?). Lastly, maybe I need to remove the spark plug, pour in a small amount of oil, and then pull the starter rope a few times? Does all this make sense? Do I need to do more? Can I get away with doing less? Any thoughts would sure be appreciated......

John

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds good, just want to add that I use 93 octane gas & a quality fuel treatment in outdoor power equipment, works well.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would tweak your steps just a bit. Step 2 just loosen the bowl nut and drain the carb bowl into a rag, DO NOT REMOVE. I personally don't see a reason to put oil into the cylinder, but if you want to do that, I would put the piston at BDC and then I would use a spray like WD-40 or Power-Lube. The spray would better coat the cylinder. The only thing I would add is while the oil is hot drain it and store with fresh clean oil.

J-D-H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds good, just want to add that I use 93 octane gas & a quality fuel treatment in outdoor power equipment, works well.

I sure agree. I've been using the highest grade of Sunoco for years (after reading that it has a great additive package for small engines,etc.). I dose the fuel with Sta-Bil (the new kind optimized for alcohol laden gas), and I also use Seafoam. Seafoam is great for small engines (especially small generators with small carbs and small jets which are so easy to get clogged).

J-D-H

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would tweak your steps just a bit. Step 2 just loosen the bowl nut and drain the carb bowl into a rag, DO NOT REMOVE. I personally don't see a reason to put oil into the cylinder, but if you want to do that, I would put the piston at BDC and then I would use a spray like WD-40 or Power-Lube. The spray would better coat the cylinder. The only thing I would add is while the oil is hot drain it and store with fresh clean oil.

Thanks for the tip about just loosening the bowl nut. Had you not mentioned this, I might have gotten into trouble by fully removing things!

I too wondered about the oil in the cylinder. I wonder if Honda uses steel cylinder liners?

Ava.Feret

Threads
Yes, I agree with Rivets. Shame the older HRX units had a drain screw in the bowl.

J-D-H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I agree with Rivets. Shame the older HRX units had a drain screw in the bowl.

I have not checked my mower yet, but a friend who has the same mower mentioned that his has this drain screw. If mine does ~not~ have this feature, I wonder if a replacement carb bowl with the drain screw can still be bought, and if it can, will it fit my carb? Another idea..... l wonder if gasoline safe petcocks are available? If yes, maybe one could be mounted onto the bowl. Does that sound reasonable for those without an existing drain?

John

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder if Honda uses steel cylinder liners?

Almost all of Honda's current line-up of mowers do not have cast-iron or steel liners.

The exceptions are Honda's commercial mowers, the HRC models. They have cast-iron cylinder sleeves.

J-D-H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Almost all of Honda's current line-up of mowers do not have cast-iron or steel liners.

The exceptions are Honda's commercial mowers, the HRC models. They have cast-iron cylinder sleeves.

Since mine is an HRX model, it sounds like oil in the cylinder may not be needed. Another idea suggested to me by a boater friend was to use a fogger via the spark plug hole or through the carb (as is done with marine engines), but again, maybe this isn't needed. OTOH, maybe these things would benefit the rings?