2002 LT160 high pitch squeal/scream

Zach5.9CTD

Threads
Hey guy, got my lawn tractor out yesterday and getting ready to service it and use it for the summer. I found out that when tractor is idling that i have a high pitch scream or squal going on that changed pitch with RPM. It goes away when i put pressure on the brake pedal but beyond that its always there.

Is this something normal ive just not paid attention to before? Do i need to check fluid in the trans? Have a bearing/pulley going bad?

Hard to locate exactly where the noise is coming from so i figured asking here might help.

Thanks guys
Zach

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's time to replace your PTO clutch assembly, bearings are making the noise. Shop around for best price for new OEM 2002 JD PTO clutch assembly using part number.

Zach5.9CTD

Threads
Mark, do you happen to know or have that part number i can reference off of?

Glyn Robinson

Threads
is the clutch electric or manual? electric operates with a switch. manual operates by a lever.

Zach5.9CTD

Threads
my tractor is hyrdostat, no clutch that im aware of - just forward, reverse, brake pedal and deck lift pedal.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
my tractor is hyrdostat, no clutch that im aware of - just forward, reverse, brake pedal and deck lift pedal.

Do you have an electric PTO switch on dash to engage blades or lever to engage blades? If lever is used to engage blades, inspect all belts & idler pulleys for replacement, bearings do wear out & make noise.

Best way to check idler pulleys is to remove them, hold pulley in one hand & spin center bearing with index finger, bearings should spin smoothly, no drag, sloppy play, roughness, or noise. Keep all parts together, right & left sides seperated, organized.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Clutch is combined with the brake.
Remove the deck
Put the brake on slip under the mower and look at the drive belt.
It should be slack and that is what we all clutching on lanmowers.
One of the elements is jambing or worn out

Zach5.9CTD

Threads
oh, its a lever on the dash to engage blades.

I do know the drive and deck belts do need to be replaced as their starting to crack.

What exactly would i be looking for on the pulleys etc. that would cause noise.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
use this method.

Best way to check idler pulleys is to remove them, hold pulley in one hand & spin center bearing with index finger, bearings should spin smoothly, no drag, sloppy play, roughness, or noise. Keep all parts together, right & left sides seperated, organized.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it is a bit of a no brainer in that case as you need to pull off a few pulleys to change the belts.
Bearings are enclosed in most pulleys so you need to replace the whole pulley when the bearings are gone.

I find it easier to drain the fuel, remove the battery and deck then stand the mower upright on it's bum so everything is there in front of your face and you don't spend 3/4 of your time clearing dirt & debris off you face & out of your eyes.