SAE 30 vs 10W 30

bigfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
What oil should be used in a Briggs & Stratton 17.5 HP Intek engine?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It all depends on the ambient operating temperature. If I was going to run the unit where temps are consistently 40 degrees F or below 10W-30. Above consistently above 40 degrees F 30W.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What oil should be used in a Briggs & Stratton 17.5 HP Intek engine?

Asking a question like SAE 30 vs 10w30 What oil should be used is a lot like asking should I use conventional or synthetic oil or what gas should I use, Regular or with ethanol. I'd run what the manual says to run for your engine and if i didn't have a manual I'd get one. Multi-viscosity oils are fine to run in lawn mowers.

:laughing: Personally I think that when you consider that we walk around with an $800 computer that takes pictures and videos that we can put in our pocket that are called cell phones or that we drive a four wheel computer down the road I think 30w oil is a little old school.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Will it suprise you that I yuse about 100 gallons of the "old school" oil each year ?
Multigrades were originally made in order to use up the light grae oils that were essentially waste products, thus reducing the price of lubricating oils.
Apart from reducing the load on the starter multigrade oils offer noting, nada , nil , sweet f a , benefit over strait grades of oil.
So if you arn't trying to start in freezing conditions, there is little advantage.
In cars it is a bit different as to comply with EPA regulations engine must fire and start withing 2 complete revloutions so the thin oils allow easier starting.
The down side is the high temperature lubricating properties are totally dependant upon the integrity of the addative package and this is a difficult thing to qualify.
Synthetics are a bit different as their addative packages are a lot more stable than standard oils.
So basically you can run $ 20/ Qt synthetics without problems to replace the $ 4 /Qt standard grade oils .
But not the other way around.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will it surprise you that I you use about 100 gallons of the "old school" oil each year ?
Multi-grades were originally made in order to use up the light grade oils that were essentially waste products, thus reducing the price of lubricating oils.
Apart from reducing the load on the starter multi-grade oils offer noting, nada , nil , sweet f a , benefit over strait grades of oil.
So if you aren't trying to start in freezing conditions, there is little advantage.
In cars it is a bit different as to comply with EPA regulations engine must fire and start withing 2 complete revolutions so the thin oils allow easier starting.
The down side is the high temperature lubricating properties are totally dependent upon the integrity of the additive package and this is a difficult thing to qualify.
Synthetics are a bit different as their additive packages are a lot more stable than standard oils.
So basically you can run $ 20/ Qt synthetics without problems to replace the $ 4 /Qt standard grade oils .
But not the other way around.

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to oil. You said if you aren't trying to start in freezing conditions, there is little advantage, well isn't that advantage something. Rivets said If I was going to run the unit where temps are consistently 40 degrees F or below 10W-30. Consistently above 40 degrees F 30W and he is right but where in this country is it consistently 40 degrees F or below? and if there is such a place there probably not mowing lawns. Most of the mower manufacturers will tell you to run 10w30 it's good down to 0 degrees and in temps ranging above 100 degrees, in extreme cold I'd go to a with a 5w20 or maybe 5w30 it's good from freezing to like 30 below 0. My guess would be that 10w30 out sells and is used more than all other grade motor oils out there.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This subject is like politics...Thinner oil cools better, but will not stay thin if multigrade and the addtive pak disappears with use (fairly soon). In the Intek and other auto engines thinner oil will find its way past rings easier and so levels will drop quicker. I use 5w-30 year round BUT you gotta be careful about oil level. With my jim dandy oil pressure gauge always in view the now-aged Intek (2004) will hold 35 psi hot.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It depends on what equipment and time of season. All of my equipment I use SAE 30 except. My Ferris mower I use 20w 50. My Wheel Horse with the snow blower 10W30. My utility ATV 0W40.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric, where are you blowing snow when it is consistently over 40. The OP didn't ask about a piece of equipment, he asked about an engine, which can be used in a variety of conditions. In this cast stick to your multi-viscosity oils and grass. Talk about turning a thread on end for no reason. Simple question, simple answer.