Convert pull start B&S to electric start

luckydevil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 10 hp B&S generator that I'm converting to electric start. I've checked to make sure the engine has mounting holes for the starter. No problem. The flywheel has mounting holes for a ring gear. I'd also like to install an alternator at the same time for charging the battery. My flywheel doesn't have alternator magnets. My engine model number is 19E412 Type 0131-01 Code 9611021A Briggs parts breakdown doesn't show a flywheel with magnets. The flywheel part number that's currently on my machine is 690615. After doing a lot of research it appears B&S is like a lot of other manufacturers and used the same mold to make a lot of different part numbers depending on the use. I've found a part that appears might fit my motor but was made for a Toro or some other application. The only difference appearing to be this one has alternator magnets. The flywheel in question is part number 391983. Can anyone tell me if they have knowledge this will work or not?
And yes, I realize that I could use a trickle charger instead of adding an alternator.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
691354 is the part number of the flywheel you need to be looking for. The other flywheel you mentioned has been used on some of the 17 and 19 series engines but isn't listed for your 19 series engine.

luckydevil

Forum Newbie
Threads
691354 is the part number of the flywheel you need to be looking for. The other flywheel you mentioned has been used on some of the 17 and 19 series engines but isn't listed for your 19 series engine.

Thank you so much for your fast and informative reply!! That was a great help.. The flywheel you mention I should be looking for is actually the flywheel that I have stock on the engine now. Imagine that.... But low and behold, this particular flywheel (691354) Doesn't seem to have magnets for an alternator. So, that kinda goes back to the original question, " does anyone have knowledge that a 391983 will replace a 691354"?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to the B & S web site, customer support , manuals.
Type in your engine number and download the parts book
In it you will see a variety of cranks and flywheels.
In the text it will tell ou which flywheel works with what alternator.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you so much for your fast and informative reply!! That was a great help.. The flywheel you mention I should be looking for is actually the flywheel that I have stock on the engine now. Imagine that.... But low and behold, this particular flywheel (691354) Doesn't seem to have magnets for an alternator. So, that kinda goes back to the original question, " does anyone have knowledge that a 391983 will replace a 691354"?

The flywheel that you have without the ring gear for the recoil start engine is part number 690615

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lucky
In responce 4 you were given some instruction that would have allowed you to clarify things
Your engine was made both with and without electric start
It is not particularly difficult but as you seem to be having troubles go to
bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/Z6fowFVJ1DajI.pdf
you will have to put the w's in front of the link.
Casual perousal of this document on page 6 will reveal 2 flywheels shown as items 23 & 23A.
Funny enough one of these appears to be depicted with a ring gear on it and one appears to be drawn sans the gear.
Crusing down to p8 you might like to check out items numbered 474 and 474 A
Now the hard bit
you have to write down those numbers and then go all the way to the end where the diagram numbers are indexed against the part number.

Armed with the correct part number you can go back to the customer support page , click on the parts menu, type the numbers in that you got from the rear section and find out what they have been superceeded to.
Or you cn go to somewhere like Jacks Small engines, type in the part number and see wha they have that can be used in place of it.
Or you can go to somewhere like
Old Mower parts and ask them

people here are trying to help you. B &S parts numbers can be a bit tricky particularly as the numbers cast into items may not be the actual part number but the number of the raw casting/ forging, before machining.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While they all look the same, flywheels vary in the size of the center hole, the diameter , height and most important POSITION OF THE TIMING KEY WITH RESPECT TO THE MAGNETS
I have mixed and matched a lot of flywheels because I have about 1/2 a ton of Briggs engines with 1 too many holes in the crankcase.
So he best advice I can give you is to find a reapair oriented mower shop, take your flywheel in ith you to them & tell them what you are trying to do.
Now you can heed this advice or write in on some dunny paper and use it .
I care not
Good luck with your endeavour.

luckydevil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile. I had actually found the parts breakdown that you mentioned. And the parts that superseded one another. I wasn't aware of a document showing the various parts that were interchangeable.
As far as having trouble, probably not so much. I simply didn't like the idea of buying and shipping an item that I wasn't sure would work. Neither of the two flywheels shown for this motor had stator magnets. My intent was if I were going change flywheels might as well add the charging system at the same time.
I have a friend that is a small engine mechanic who also has several old style briggs engines. We found a vertical shaft 8 hp that came off a snapper or something.
It was the same series as mine. It has the same cast markings and fit perfectly. It also has stator magnets, which was never available for my motor. I'm also able to use the shroud which is different for electric start. I'm not yet done stripping it so not sure what I can use.
Based on what I'm seeing at places like ebay and salvage yards they treat these old parts like gold. I'd buy a new generator first. This is just a hobby project.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slow down a minute and have a think
If the flywheel shown in the diagram has a ring gear and there are 2 stators that go inside then the flywheel must have magnets in it.
Which from memory Illengine correctly identified way back at the start of this thread.
I add $20 to the price of any part pulled from a new engine as I have to take it off and then order & refit it.
Standard price for used parts is 50% of the new part list price.
There are costs involved in acquiring the blown engines, cleaning them stripping them and selling the parts.
While your labour might be worth nothing to you, the mechanics labour is what feeds , cloths and houses their families.

YOUR ENGINE WAS ALWAYS AVAILABLE EITHER WITH OR WITHOUT A STARTER AND CHARGING CIRCUIT.
IN FACT IT WAS AVAILABLE WITH 2 DIFFERENT CHARGING SYSTEMS,
A 3 amp one & A 5 AMP one