briggs and stratton surging

smitty88

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello I have a briggs and Stratton model 110412-0154-E1.. it surges at high speed and it will run fine at half choke and it idles fine.. cleaned carb but no change so I got a new carb and its still surging.... any suggestions will be appreciated...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the float level on the old carb. With the float bowl off tip the carb upside down and look at the float. It should be level from the pin side accross. If it is high at the side opposite of the pin, you have found your problem. The float is closing before you get enough fuel in the float bowl, caused by the viton seat swelling. Need to replace the float needle and seat after a good cleaning. I have even seen this in new carbs.

smitty88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the float level on the old carb. With the float bowl off tip the carb upside down and look at the float. It should be level from the pin side accross. If it is high at the side opposite of the pin, you have found your problem. The float is closing before you get enough fuel in the float bowl, caused by the viton seat swelling. Need to replace the float needle and seat after a good cleaning. I have even seen this in new carbs.

thanks for the response, I have checked the float level and also replaced needle and seat in old carb. both carbs work fine on another identical engine..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In your case the surging is caused by a lean running condition. If you are sure that the float is set properly, then I would check the the gaskets between the carb and spacer, and the spacer and block are not leaking. If it is tight and sealed, I would set the float slightly low (richer) and see what happens.

Mikel1

Threads
Might want to make sure fuel tank, filter and fuel line aren't restricted.