Engine 12 HP steel sleeve Briggs

Soonerbob61

Threads
I need help getting mine back together.....I took off the old carb (Nikki) and want to buy a new Walbro....are there step by step instructions somewhere that can help me do it right? Also, after I got the carb off I noticed a flat rectangle box with a rubber looking boot (looks like the rubber cap off the spark plug) hanging off of it....I pulled it off and it looks like a round diafram on the flip side of it....I can see the push rods and springs in the motor when I took this part off....what is it?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does steel sleeve mean?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
without the model number we are just guessing. It sounds like the breather or what some people would call the valve cover.

Mow Joe

Threads
Any idea what that rubber tube coming out of the valve cover would attach to?....or does it not connect to anything?

That valve spring cover is the crankcase breather. Basically, it is what a PCV valve is for a car engine. Back when I was in the mower business, that tube attached to the carburetor on a Briggs. On some engines it was just open to atmosphere. I've been out of the business for more than 20 years, so my points of reference are a bit dated.

Mow Joe

Threads
It usually attaches to the air filter box.

This is probably closer to being correct. I am picturing the old 190700 and 251700 series engines, which actually did attach directly to the carburetor.

kkelly311

Threads
I just cleaned a Nikki carb and replaced gasket on a briggs 217802 and the hose on it went from air filter box to carb.