1985~89 B&S Sno/Gard enigne questions

kenn_chan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick intro:

Former Marine living in Japan and working on the local navy base, this will answer a lot of questions you guys have

Currently I am building a log splitter with some plans I bought on line and the tools at my home shop. I have been a fabricator since I left the corps so I have plenty of experience except in one area....small engine repair. In HS I took the required (for Indiana) industrial arts classes which included a course on small engine repair...but that was 30 years ago.

here is my question: I got my hands on a B&S Snow/Gard 8hp engine from around (I think) the 1985-89 time frame, cannot find out much more info about it Model 190432 type 1003 01 code 8105211. it turns over by hand and has good compression, but it seems to have two issues, no spark and no fuel. Carb is a mess so I ordered a new one from amazon (actual B&S part not chinese knockoff).

now for the spark part. I checked the plug, GTG gap looks OK but I do not have specs to measure against. the flywheel had rust on it so I wire brushed the area around the magnet and the bottom of the coil magneto assembly and returned them to the same air gap as prior to removal.

I disassembled the pull start and after chasing the little ball bearings in the clutch system managed to get it off until only the part left was the aluminum portion that held the ball bearings.

as a kid all the motors I worked on had a pulley that you wrapped the rope around and a large nut that was removed so you could take off the flywheel, but this engine has that aluminum piece and it looks like it has two flat spots for a thin spanner wrench. I thought there was a condenser below that and it does have wires running from the magneto coil down there (that was why I was trying to get it off so I could check to see if the electrolyte had leaked out), but I cannot get that clutch for the pull start off and prior to breaking it I wanted to ask if anybody could explain how to get it off.

Thank you in advance for any information you can spare.

Ken Morgan

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That aluminum lower piece of the clutch is actually a nut. the actually briggs tool looks something like a spanner wrench. In a pinch you can put something soft against those little ears, which are just places for screws to hold the screen on. and tap on it to loosen the nut. Some of the clutch bases had places for four screws but only used two, so if that is the case you may be able to get a little rougher with the unused tabs.

It sounds like you have the points and condenser under the flywheel type so it will have to come off. And from your code number your engine is a 1981. and next time just point in one location. Multiple post confuse everybody, and you end up with responses in various locations and is hard to keep track off.

kenn_chan

Forum Newbie
Threads
That aluminum lower piece of the clutch is actually a nut. the actually briggs tool looks something like a spanner wrench. In a pinch you can put something soft against those little ears, which are just places for screws to hold the screen on. and tap on it to loosen the nut. Some of the clutch bases had places for four screws but only used two, so if that is the case you may be able to get a little rougher with the unused tabs.

It sounds like you have the points and condenser under the flywheel type so it will have to come off. And from your code number your engine is a 1981. and next time just point in one location. Multiple post confuse everybody, and you end up with responses in various locations and is hard to keep track off.

Thanks for the info and the advice.

Cheers

Ken

kenn_chan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mods can close or delete this post if they choose. thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No Ken.
Posts stay in the archive forever.
Yhus people can browse through the old posts to see if some one else had the same problem they have and what finally fixed it.