1985~89 B&S Sno/Gard enigne questions

kenn_chan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: 1985~89 B&S Sno/Gard engine questions

That aluminum lower piece of the clutch is actually a nut. the actually briggs tool looks something like a spanner wrench. In a pinch you can put something soft against those little ears, which are just places for screws to hold the screen on. and tap on it to loosen the nut. Some of the clutch bases had places for four screws but only used two, so if that is the case you may be able to get a little rougher with the unused tabs.

It sounds like you have the points and condenser under the flywheel type so it will have to come off. And from your code number your engine is a 1981. and next time just point in one location. Multiple post confuse everybody, and you end up with responses in various locations and is hard to keep track off.

SO great replies from this forum thanks. got the engine running great no smoke, and she fires up on the first pull no problems. next questions is that several members provided manuals and references for this particular engine, (winter service sno gard) thanks to you all but I have a question that one of the actual mechanics or service technicians will probably have to answer.

I will be running this in the winter, and the manuals all say to use 30 weight oil when above 40 deg F and 10w30 or 5w30 when below. They then go on to say that excessive oil consumption and damage can occur if using multi viscosity oils above 40 degrees.

is this due to bearing clearance differences? Or does it run hotter due to the shielding that surrounds the muffler and directs exhaust back around the carb? if it is the latter can simply pulling the shielding (not normally on summer engines) off of the muffler convert it to summer use? the shield covers the muffler partially directing hot exhaust gas around the carb and that general area. If removed the standard covers are still in place and would direct the normal cooling air from the front pulley fan across the cylinder head and block.

the reason I am conerned is that you cannot buy straight 30 weight in japan all anybody sells is the multi viscosity and I will be using the logsplitter primarily in the non winter months the hottest it gets where I will be using the engine is 70~80 Farenheight.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Run 10w 30 it will be fine.