Starting Issues

minkota

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a 1993 Toro 8-25 Wheelhorse (Model 70040; S/N 3901333).
The problem I am having is that it will not turn over on its own (it must be hooked up to car with jumper cables). it has a brand new battery (2 weeks old), starter, solenoid, battery cables, and alternator/stator (with the exception of the battery, these parts were replaced by previous owner not myself). The engine (B&S 283707 0156-01) runs fine on and off the jumper cables it will run until it runs out of fuel with no issues; but once it is turned off it will not restart unless connected to the car on jumper cables again. any help is greatly appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound to me like a bad connection at the battery or bad battery. If it turns over OK with a jumper cable it should also turn over with its own battery. A am assuming you are jumping the tractor battery to battery?

minkota

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sound to me like a bad connection at the battery or bad battery. If it turns over OK with a jumper cable it should also turn over with its own battery. A am assuming you are jumping the tractor battery to battery?

I am jumping battery to battery but the car does have to be running. I have been leaning towards a bad starter because even when on the jumper cables it still does not turn as strong as I think it should.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have the battery tested.
Without the jumper cables will it try to turn over?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not turning over the way you think it should is probably value lash. Not turning over is battery. It may be caused by charging circut not working. When engine is running what is voltage at battery?

minkota

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have the battery tested.
Without the jumper cables will it try to turn over?

without cables it does little to nothing sometimes maybe it will give a click but then nothing after that. Battery is only 2 weeks old, and has been tested at my local Auto Zone where I purchased the battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well start by by passing things, one at a time
Put your jumpers on the battery and connect the battery directly to the starter.
Turns over fine then battery is OK
Remove the earth lead, dosn't turn over = bad earth on mower
Move + jumper to the starter motor side of solenoid, starter spins OK = Lead is good
Move the + jumper to the battery side of solenoid, starter spins OK - Power lead to solenoid is bad
Run a light jumper from the battery side terminal to the trigger terminal on the solenoid, starter spins = solenoid is good
Note if the solenoid is 4 pole you need to test the - trigger as well.
If you pull the mowers wires from the solenoid it does not matter which way the triggers are connected

minkota

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I will give those a try and post back the findings this evening or tomorrow.