12.5 Spraying oil and gas from carb

TheRealHenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changed oil, ran mower for 5 minutes. Changed oil again. Put a set of clamps on the fuel line.

We'll see what happens tomorrow when I go to crank it again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you run it check for signs of running rich.
8 stoking. blowing black smoke etc.
A lot of time it is just a bit of crud or water that holds the float open.
Tomorrow put some sort of a catch jar under the carb and slip off the float bowl and see what is in there.
Over time you get a build up of crud in the fuel tank which eventually finds it way into the carb.
One reason what the sprint motor is so reliable is it has that overflow type of fuel bowl and the tank is lower than the carb.

TheRealHenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you run it check for signs of running rich.
8 stoking. blowing black smoke etc.
A lot of time it is just a bit of crud or water that holds the float open.
Tomorrow put some sort of a catch jar under the carb and slip off the float bowl and see what is in there.
Over time you get a build up of crud in the fuel tank which eventually finds it way into the carb.
One reason what the sprint motor is so reliable is it has that overflow type of fuel bowl and the tank is lower than the carb.

I sure will.

I think I'll also change the fuel filter when I install the shutoff valve.

I'll change to ethanol free gas and start running some seafoam in it as well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And put the shut off between the fuel tank and the filter ( I put them upstream of the fuel pump ) which will make changine the filter a lot earier in future.
Clamping off old fuel lines should be avoided if possible.
Ethanol should not affect the engine during the season when it is passing through the engine quickly.
Problems arise with it sitting long term.

Tinkerer200

Threads
And put the shut off between the fuel tank and the filter ( I put them upstream of the fuel pump ) which will make changine the filter a lot earier in future.
Ethanol should not affect the engine during the season when it is passing through the engine quickly.

Good advice above.

Walt Conner

jakesmurray

Threads

I have my own theory of putting the shutoff valve after the fuel filter, so filtered gas goes through it instead of unfiltered gas which could crud up the valve over time. Is this a valid point, or is the amount of crud in the fuel not enough to hurt the valve over time? I agree that having the valve before the filter makes changing the filter a whole lot easier...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull one apart and have a good look how they work.
next to no chance of debris blocking a fuel ap and at $ 5.00, not a problem to rplace.
Only important thing to remember is to buy them from a mower shop, not of evilbay or craigs.
I can buy them for 5c from China howeve they are for water and will swell up and go to jelly if put in a fuel line.
Capitalist idiots with no consence flog these off endlessly on the web

jakesmurray

Threads
Pull one apart and have a good look how they work.
next to no chance of debris blocking a fuel ap and at $ 5.00, not a problem to rplace.
Only important thing to remember is to buy them from a mower shop, not of evilbay or craigs.
I can buy them for 5c from China howeve they are for water and will swell up and go to jelly if put in a fuel line.
Capitalist idiots with no consence flog these off endlessly on the web

Thanks! :cool:

MILITARIA

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not an expert but I've been there, check your PCV valve. It may look like a rectangle apx. 2 x 4 cover with line going into it. If it sticks, your compression will blow oil out the carb and everywhere else it might be weak at. Just a suggestion. I have had it happen to me. Wash it good in gasoline or buy a new one for about $5.00 bucks. Good luck

Tinkerer200

Threads
I am not an expert but I've been there, check your PCV valve. It may look like a rectangle apx. 2 x 4 cover with line going into it. If it sticks, your compression will blow oil out the carb and everywhere else it might be weak at. Just a suggestion. I have had it happen to me. Wash it good in gasoline or buy a new one for about $5.00 bucks. Good luck

"Didn't check the oil level before starting did you? Float needle probably leaked filling the crankcase with gas"

"I believe this is exactly what has happened. I worked on the mower a little more yesterday and found the oil is full of gas."

??

Walt Conner