FS 55 not priming

jm123

Threads
Hi,

I have an FS 55 that I left gas in over the Winter a few years ago. Was having issues with my shoulders. Yes, physical therapy *does* hurt...

Anyway, the shoulders are better and it's time to get the OPE running again.

Let me summarize:

- Tried starting, a good workout with no joy. Did some troubleshooting to determine that there were/are fuel issues. Surprised?
- Took the Carb off to disassemble and spray with cleaner. Removed quite a bit of gunk.
- Reassembled and put back on engine. Now the priming bulb doesn't fill up with fuel.
- No cracks, etc. Chirps when depressed and not connected to fuel tubing.
- Takes a while, minutes, to re-inflate after being depressed.
- I checked the, green, fuel line connections. Non ribbed to black (lower), ribbed to white (upper).

I'm at a bit of a loss on why the bulb doesn't fill up with fuel.

Any ideas?

Also, does anybody have opinions about the premixed non Ethanol gas? Trufuel for example.

Thanks!

Mikel1

Threads
Sounds like the inlet needle is stuck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Primer sucks the air out of the carb and fills the carb with fuel returing what is left over to the tank.
The primer has a 1 way valve in it to control the flow.
If it can not pull anything through the carb then it can not return to normal shape.
So either the line from the filter to the carb is blocked.
The carb ileslf is bolcked or
you have it plumbed in wrong if it is a remote primer.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love Trufuel but it is over $25 a gallon. I only use it to break in a new piece of equipment or to clean it out if I am working on someone's equipment.

Mikel1

Threads
I have used Motomix, can't say I love it or the price. If you are rarely using it then it's an option. Cheaper to run premium gas/oil mix if your going to run alot.

jm123

Threads
Primer sucks the air out of the carb and fills the carb with fuel returing what is left over to the tank.
The primer has a 1 way valve in it to control the flow.
If it can not pull anything through the carb then it can not return to normal shape.
So either the line from the filter to the carb is blocked.
The carb ileslf is bolcked or
you have it plumbed in wrong if it is a remote primer.

Thanks! I'll check these.

jm123

Threads
I love Trufuel but it is over $25 a gallon. I only use it to break in a new piece of equipment or to clean it out if I am working on someone's equipment.

I was thinking of buying one quart to try out. Then reusing the can. There are about five stations in town that sell non Ethanol gas. Or so pure-gas.org says.

jm123

Threads
I have used Motomix, can't say I love it or the price. If you are rarely using it then it's an option. Cheaper to run premium gas/oil mix if your going to run alot.

That was my thinking. I don't think that using 92 octane will hurt even though Stihl says to use 89.

jm123

Threads
I took the carb apart and looked it over. Didn't see any problems. Reinstalled it, same issue. The problem is with the carb. Priming bulb doesn't work when carb isn't attached to anything.

Decided to replace it. $12.29 at Amazon. The one I have coming is the old style. Has the brass connectors rather than the plastic. Hope it fits the green tubing. Could have got a new style for $17.99. The seller of the new style had low reviews, really slow shipping from China. If you didn't know there are two types of shipping from China; slow which is airmail and really slow which seems like a one eyed camel walking backwards.

Thanks for your help!