Limited to Lowes - What is the best zero turn mower in their line

CurtHansen

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Limited to Lowes - What is the best zero turn mower in their line
Hi, I am brand new to the site as I came across it as I am beginning my lawn mower search. Due to circumstances beyond my control at this point in time, I now have gift cards totaling about $3,100 from Lowes so that is where I need to buy my new riding lawn mower. I am guessing many on here would tell me that the box store mowers are inferior, but unless I can pay elsewhere with my Lowes gift cards I am kind of stuck to their options :laughing:.

A little about my situation, I just moved into a new home that has just under one acre of land that is a gradual sloped lot (not really steep). It's a brand new yard, so besides a fence that I have already put up and a couple of trees the obstacles are currently minimal. However, we definitely have plans for multiple flower beds and with fence placement I really think I would benefit from a zero turn mower (never had one before). I have always been a John Deere fan and have been mowing with a 42" lawn tractor for over 10 years so have good luck with their name. However based on limited reviews I have seen, their box store zero turn (Z series) really don't get a lot of good press.

So my question to the experts that are on this site, knowing my budget of around $3,100 and that I must buy from Lowes what recommendations would you have for me? I think my brand name choices include Husqvarna, Hustler, John Deere, or Troy Bilt? I actually really liked the concept of the Troy Bilt 46" zero turn that has a steering wheel vs. the levers, but somebody told me the steering wheel versions really aren't genuine zero turn. Is this true, should I only consider zero turn mowers with levers (understanding I am buying entry level residential mower from Lowes)?

In summary, my question is pretty basic. What brand and model is the best option for me with my stated limitations above? Thanks for any experienced feedback that anybody is willing to share!!

Good 1 Brian

Threads
My vote goes the Hustler Raptor and you may want to spend a little extra and get the Raptor SD that's what I ended up getting after my research on a 42" zero turn mower The SD has a faster blade speed faster mph rated at 7.5 over 6.5 , better transmission , Kohler Pro Series engine seat upgrade , hour meter
I also think the JD has a stamped deck the Raptor has a Fab deck even on the standard Raptor

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/35698-raptor-raptor-sd-4.html

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd have to agree with Good 1 Brian Hustler Raptor would give you the most for your money

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm with the others on this one. Raptor, or Raptor sd. The Raptor is ample mower for your lawn, but the sd is worth the extra cash. What part of Tennessee are you in? I'm a West Tennesseean myself (Crockett County native).

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My next door neighbor bought a John Deere ZT from Home Depot. Loves it and other then replacing mower blades never has had a problem. He mows about three acres of lawn and has owned it for a number of years now. If you like JD stay with it. My old John Deere has to be close to 40 years old and still going strong.

primerbulb120

Threads
Before you buy JD, read this: tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-ag-tractors/314432-john-deere-quality-control-problems.html

CurtHansen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I figured Hustler was the best model based on price point, but I just wondered if it wasn't overkill for my once a week needs on my sub 1 acre lot (especially the 54" Raptor SD)?

Good commentary on newer JD quality, any thoughts on any of.the other brands in Lowe's line based on zero turn reputation and quality? I know Consumer Reports likes the Troy Bilt Mustang series, but not sure if I am sold on CP's unbiased views? Keep the thoughts coming all, very helpful!

As for location Shughes, I am in the SE corner of Tennessee in Hamilton County.

Last edited:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I figured Hustler was the best model based on price point, but I just wondered if it wasn't overkill for my once a week needs on my sub 1 acre lot (especially the 54" Raptor SD)?

Good commentary on newer JD quality, any thoughts on any of.the other brands in Lowe's line based on zero turn reputation and quality? I know Consumer Reports likes the Troy Bilt Mustang series, but not sure if I am sold on CP's unbiased views? Keep the thoughts coming all, very helpful!

As for location Shuges, I am in the SE corner of Tennessee in Hamilton County.

All of the low end ztr mowers you mentioned offer pretty much the same drive train. Low end residential engines, and Hydrogear ezt hydros. The decks will all be thinner stamped decks, where as higher end mowers mostly have fabricated decks that are much more sturdy. All of the brands you mentioned are designed for smaller lawns like yours. They may have a few different features, but will operate similarly. The reason some other members and I mentioned the Raptor sd is, because it is a much better built mower than the others for about $1000 more. It offers a better engine/ transmission than the other models, and has a heavier fabricated deck. As mentioned it is faster, and has a blade tip speed that matches the bigger commercial mowers (will leave a better cut). The Raptor Sd is a higher quality mower that should last much longer than any of the other brands you are looking at. It is more mower than you have lawn, but would you rather $3000 for a bottom of the line mower that may have to be replaced every 10 to 12 years, or pay $4000 for a mower that should last 20 or more years (if properly maintained)?

Good 1 Brian

Threads

As for location Shughes, I am in the SE corner of Tennessee in Hamilton County.

Didn't know you were looking at a 54" , it may be overkill for your use instead put saving of the 54" towards a 42" Raptor SD

CurtHansen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Didn't know you were looking at a 54" , it may be overkill for your use instead put saving of the 54" towards a 42" Raptor SD

Based on what I am reading the Raptor SD of 42" variety would be a great fit, but in looking at my local Lowes they only have 54" and 60" models available in the store and online appear to be 60" and 54" on the SD line. I visited Lowes tonight and I do like the SD better, but it feels like if I wanted to drop down to 42" on size I would have to go with a regular Raptor (at least through Lowes). Definitely at least focusing on the Hustler line based on what I am reading.