Standard Blades

philadelphia1

Threads
Ok great. I gleaned the information I needed form you helpful folks. Thanks to everyone who took a minute out of their day to contribute to my questions. I really appreciate your time. What a wonderful group of people on this forum. Thanks again!

DaveP

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just gave my old Craftsman LT1000 42" tractor to my nephew and bought a new Craftsman Pro Series 42" Turn Tight Extreme rider. It's a nice mower with one aggravation. The blades aren't nearly as thick or sturdy as the old 42" blades on the LT1000.

My new blades with the 6 point star center hole measure about 1/8" thick (.125") and the old 5 point star Craftsman blades I used to use are noticeably thicker when I compare them at the local Sears Hometown store.

I'm wondering if it will be OK to use blades I've seen online that have the 6 point star configuration with a .149" thickness. They are advertised to be made a USA shop with good quality steel. I've bent 3 blades in four times cutting my 2.25 acre yard. There's lots of hardwoods and some roots that hide in tall grass. My concern with the thicker blade is that it's probably .014" thicker than the star on the mandrel, although the nut will still press the blade firmly to the mandrel's flat surface. Is that an issue?

I used the thicker 5 point star blades on the old Craftsman 42" and never bent a blade despite an occasional contact with the top of a root. It would just slice off the top and continue on. I know that's not recommended, but it's going to happen here and there with wooded acreage. When I gave away the old mower after 14 years of use it still had the original mandrels installed and working just fine, so I obviously didn't destroy anything by chopping small dead branches and infrequent contact with an exposed root.

The new mower is obviously lightweight in the blade department, despite being excellent in all other aspects. One tap on something other than grass and the blade is toast. I love the 5" turn tight radius and the handling that it provides. Handling is almost like power steering.

Another question I have is that some blades in my search returns for 6 point star use the universal blade center hole that is supposed to be compatible with the 6 point star config. Is the universal center hole really compatible with 6 point star blades?

Thanks, DaveP

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to Oregon web site and see if they list a Gator to fit your mower.
Never buy blades off evilbay or amazon unless you know for sure it is a real retail outlet with pproduct liability insurance and the blades have a brand names on them.

Every $ 2.99 chain saw from China seem to have a "genuine" Oregon bar & chain on them.
However the bars do not have the usual Oregon features a, are painted in a different colour scheme and wear out in a few cuts.