2010 JD Z930A Transmission Leaking Badly

jakesmurray

Threads
Got this thing put back together today, and she is all dry now! :thumbsup:

Turns out JD has updated the part number again for the rubber plug. It is now MIU14382. The new plug is all metal with a thin coating of rubber- a much more fail-proof design. So Kudos to JD for realizing and fixing their mistakes. The transaxle is made by a company called Tuff Torq. I had never heard of them. Everything went back together smoothly, and now this machine is ready for the new mowing season. :cool:

new plug.jpg

plug w pulley.jpg

transaxle mfg.jpg

finished.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got this thing put back together today, and she is all dry now! :thumbsup:

Turns out JD has updated the part number again for the rubber plug. It is now MIU14382. The new plug is all metal with a thin coating of rubber- a much more fail-proof design. So Kudos to JD for realizing and fixing their mistakes. The transaxle is made by a company called Tuff Torq. I had never heard of them. Everything went back together smoothly, and now this machine is ready for the new mowing season. :cool:

View attachment 28314

View attachment 28315

View attachment 28316

View attachment 28317

Don't pat John Deere on the back for any of that. Tuff Torq made all the parts. Probably reason it was so cheep to begin with was that John Deere made them cheepen it for profit reasons.

jakesmurray

Threads
Well I'm glad that someone realized there was problem. It's a shame how badly quality suffers today just to squeeze out a little more money.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My son used to work at the Tuff Torq plant and John Deere left them and went with china made because it saved them $3.00 per unit. That lasted 6 months and they came back to Tuff Torq because of the failure rate.

jakesmurray

Threads
I completely understand their reasoning- $3 a unit adds up real quick. But there is a fine line between getting a little more profit and putting out a quality product...

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
62% failure rate cost them a lot more than $3.00 a unit.

ckhplumbing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, an update. I pulled the transmission out today. It was a bit tricky, but not too terrible. I couldn't get the pulley off by hand, so I went to my local auto parts store and rented a puller. A couple of cranks and it popped right off. Then the problem became obvious. The seal around the input shaft was dry as a bone, to my surprise. The problem lied within the plug that covers the shavings magnet. It had a crack right in the center of it. It is made of rubber, and it was extremely brittle. Turns out the old plug (part no. M809062) has been replaced with a new updated part number (MIU801988). I am interested to see how improved the new plug will be over the old one. I will also be replacing the magnet, as I slightly cracked the old one trying to remove it with needle nose pliers. The part number for it is M119842 for it. I'm also going to look at the other side's transmission and see if I can replace this plug without removing the entire transmission. I'd like to replace it too, because I know it's only a matter of time before it cracks and begins leaking. The pulley covers about 90% of the top of this plug, making it difficult to access, so we will see. More updates to come...

View attachment 28289

View attachment 28290

View attachment 28291

how much of a hassle to pull tranny?
is there a list somewhere of the order of parts removal?
Thanks

jakesmurray

Threads
how much of a hassle to pull tranny?
is there a list somewhere of the order of parts removal?
Thanks

Welcome to LMF!

Gosh I'm trying to think back to last year what all I had to do to get that trans out. I remember it was a bit of a chore, but certainly doable for the DIYer. Just disconnect all the linkages, trans fluid reservoir tube, belt, etc and you shouldn't have any problem.

ckhplumbing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to LMF!

Gosh I'm trying to think back to last year what all I had to do to get that trans out. I remember it was a bit of a chore, but certainly doable for the DIYer. Just disconnect all the linkages, trans fluid reservoir tube, belt, etc and you shouldn't have any problem.

Thank you.
This weeks project if i can find time.

tlj692003

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, an update. I pulled the transmission out today. It was a bit tricky, but not too terrible. I couldn't get the pulley off by hand, so I went to my local auto parts store and rented a puller. A couple of cranks and it popped right off. Then the problem became obvious. The seal around the input shaft was dry as a bone, to my surprise. The problem lied within the plug that covers the shavings magnet. It had a crack right in the center of it. It is made of rubber, and it was extremely brittle. Turns out the old plug (part no. M809062) has been replaced with a new updated part number (MIU801988). I am interested to see how improved the new plug will be over the old one. I will also be replacing the magnet, as I slightly cracked the old one trying to remove it with needle nose pliers. The part number for it is M119842 for it. I'm also going to look at the other side's transmission and see if I can replace this plug without removing the entire transmission. I'd like to replace it too, because I know it's only a matter of time before it cracks and begins leaking. The pulley covers about 90% of the top of this plug, making it difficult to access, so we will see. More updates to come...

View attachment 28289

View attachment 28290

View attachment 28291
Were you able to replace the right side with out removing the transmission ? I know its been awhile but if you could remember back and give detailed instructions on removing the transmission it would be greatly appreciated.I have looked it over pretty good and I don't see how to get to the front two bolts.