Dixon speed 42 slow turning over with FULLY charged battery HELP PLEASE!

wr822

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Dixon speed 42 slow turning over with FULLY charged battery HELP PLEASE!
Hello all, I have a 90s Dixon speed 42 with a Briggs ohv motor and for the past year I have had a problem with my the unit being hard starting, last year I could mess with it for about 20 minutes or so and get it to turn over fast enough to start but not having luck this year so far and just want to get this problem figured out.
With a FULLY charged battery, you turn the key and lights come on as you go past that part but when you hit start it does nothing, the only was to turn it over is by jumping the solenoid, and when I do that it doesn't turn over fast enough to start, even with a full battery and charger on jump start. Has the correct size battery, I hve checked and fully inspected the starter, ignition switch and replaced the solenoid, all are good. It honestly like it has a load on it or has too much compression and can't get it to spin over fast enough to fire. In fact when I take the oil filler dipstick loose it turns over just a little faster but still not enough. I have tried everything, it basically acts like the battery is dead or too small and its full. I've tried jumping it with a car and only makes it turn a little faster but still not enough this year. That is how I usually ended up getting it to start last year but it has still been pretty cold this year so I assume that is making it harder to turn over since the oil is thicker when cold. Also last year when I got it to run and mowed, it would start just fine after it was warmed up indicating the warm oil made it possible for it to start... I'm just baffled. Is it possible that a hydro pump is putting a load on it and keeping it from turning over? Is there a decompression that maybe isn't working?
There was also another problem that I'd like to figure out, when I have the oil full to the mark, if I do a lot of fast spinning around or just spin too fast usually to the left it somehow dumps a bunch of oil into the fuel system and about dies and blows a bunch of smoke out the exhaust and oil comes oozing out of the fuel pump? Then after I stop doing any fast spinning and it burns off the oil that it dumped in, it's fine. Also when I get it started cold it runs perfect until I switch the blades on then it spits and sputters and barely runs for about 1-2 minutes then cleans up and runs as it should.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated, would love to here from a Dixon guru but if anybody has any idea on the problems at hand I would love to hear ideas, thanks!
Sorry didn't see that the Dixon forum was combined with husky so reposted here

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so 2 threads for the same issue. Not a good idea.

ingigo

Threads
I would say check the starter and CARB!!, maybe the crankcase has had it, maybe the seals on the pistons are done for. I am sorry but all I can narrow it down to is your engine. The hydro will not matter if you disengage the transmission by lever or better yet take off the belt. Isolate everything in the engine and give it good start, if it fires, check what is going on bad, smoke, skipping compressions, new spark plugs come to mind but you honestly just have too many problems described here. I would need to be there in real life to make any fix. sorry

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try this for me if you would. Remove both battery cables from battery. Connect jumper cables to wires for battery and try starting it. Report back. You also need to clean your carb inside and out. Need a little wire to clean out all the tiny holes in the carb. Now we also need the model number off the engine and mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two sets of resons why a starter turns an engine over slow

1) Electricial issues, faulty battery ,broken power wires, dirty connections, shorts at the brushes in the starter

2) Mechanical, usually poor decompression due to too large a valve lash, stuck valves, loose guides, siezed bearings.

When dealing with the unknown, go down one path first then the other or you will just get confused.
So start with what Blaze asked and in the mena time look up haw to check the others.

This assumes that the engine is isolated from the mower and not getting a parasitic load from the drives or deck but usually you will notice the blades spinning or mower trying to move when cranking the engine.