Mowing a Hillside

Mary Braeden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a steep hillside to mow. About a 45 degree angle, and its not small. Had a 2 cycle lawnboy that gave up the ghost. What should I get that can handle about 30 minutes of side to side mowing at 45 degrees? Need self propelled. I'm not worried about the safety issues, I have mowed this hill for the last 6 years and I'm in my 50's. I just but my cleats on and have at it! My dad did it until he was 65 years old. The problem is we have always used a 2 cycle. Will this degree of slope destroy a 4 cycle?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a steep hillside to mow. About a 45 degree angle, and its not small. Had a 2 cycle lawnboy that gave up the ghost. What should I get that can handle about 30 minutes of side to side mowing at 45 degrees? Need self propelled. I'm not worried about the safety issues, I have mowed this hill for the last 6 years and I'm in my 50's. I just but my cleats on and have at it! My dad did it until he was 65 years old. The problem is we have always used a 2 cycle. Will this degree of slope destroy a 4 cycle?

Yes.
At that angle the oil will not be anywhere near the oil pump on any vertical shaft mower.
Some horizontal shaft engines can handle big slopes but again I doubt that they will be able to take that slope.
We did make a few self propelled 2 strokes down here so I would be supprised if you can not get some in the USA.
If not Victa did export both the master cut SP 20" and the Mustang SP 18" to Canada.
We did not sell any in the USA because the USA government found all sorts of issues which made them unsafe for Americans to use.
OTOH you should be able to get your old lawnboy up & running they are not particularly difficult to fix.

Mary Braeden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to thank you for your help. You kept me from making a very costly mistake. After hearing from you I stopped looking for new mowers, and went the used route. Found a lawnboy Dura Force almost exactly like the one I had from a guy that works on them 6 blocks from where I live. Now I have to get my old one back from the repair shop that has it, and maybe this new guy can get it running, too! Never hurts to have a back up. Thanks again!