Kohler 7000 smart choke issue.

rmwheeler75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a brand new Hustler mower with the Kohler 7000 series engine with Smart Choke. Since day one, I've had issues with the motor dying or cutting out while I am cutting grass. Have had it back to the dealer twice. First time it was there for a month and thought they had it figured out. Got it back, and 6 minutes into cutting, it died. Did it 15 more times in 12 minutes. Mower went back to the dealer and has been there over a month now. Even the Kohler rep has been there and is shaking his head. It acts like its starving for fuel or like the choke is left on. Sometimes it cuts out completely and dies. Other times it boggs down like the choke comes on, but then idles back up just before it dies.

Everything has been checked from fuel filter, fuel pump, alternate fuel source, smart choke system, timing, etc.

RickB49

Forum Newbie
Threads
I realize this is an old thread, but I now have an auto choke problem.

My Hustler has 29 hours on it, and now you can't start it without opening the air intake, removing the air filter, and flipping the choke plate. This is a bummer.

So, it's on the trailer and in the a.m. it will be going to the dealer. Hope I don't have to argue and they don't keep my mower very long as mowing season is just getting started here in Fla.

RickB49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update on my auto choke issue. I took my SD 54 to the dealer three weeks ago and it turns out they replaced the entire carb. Why? I don't know unless there was a TB or something on the carb.
Don't really care why at this point I'm just glad they fixed it. While there they replaced the transmission brace also. Picking it up tomorrow.

RickB49

Forum Newbie
Threads
As it turns out, the reason my dealer replaced the entire carb, was because a connecting link broke. No one can figure out how this happened but it wasn't damaged by me.

They replaced the carb and installed the transformer bracket upgrade and it only took them two weeks.

braycres

Forum Newbie
Threads
The connection may be the issue. My battery terminal was lightly corroded and wasn't allowing the battery to recharge. When the battery lacks a full charge the electronic choke closes and doesn't let the mower run. I had noticed before it started cutting out and bogging down when I was mowing periodically. Hope this helps!

jimbo@32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take your mower to your dealer, There is a service bulletin addressing your problem with sticking choke, Your unit should still be under warranty so let them repair it at their expense.

After "smart" choke acting dumb and sticking in closed position, I sprayed WD40 inside housing and, u guessed it, no more sticking choke.

jimbo@32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have about 30 hrs on my Kohler. After cutting a yard I drop it to low speed to cool down on the trailer while I lock it down about 30 seconds or so. When I fire it back up at the next yard it gets stuck In choke mode. I can raise the throttle and it still says in choke mode. It also puffs out the excess gas. I have to take of the breather and tap the butterfly to get it out of choke. Any idea what's causing this.

Mine did same thing. Don't laugh, but after several times doing this I simply took filter off and give it a good dose of WD40 around choke pivot. End of problem. Hasn't stuck in over a year

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a brand new Hustler mower with the Kohler 7000 series engine with Smart Choke. Since day one, I've had issues with the motor dying or cutting out while I am cutting grass. Have had it back to the dealer twice. First time it was there for a month and thought they had it figured out. Got it back, and 6 minutes into cutting, it died. Did it 15 more times in 12 minutes. Mower went back to the dealer and has been there over a month now. Even the Kohler rep has been there and is shaking his head. It acts like its starving for fuel or like the choke is left on. Sometimes it cuts out completely and dies. Other times it boggs down like the choke comes on, but then idles back up just before it dies.

Everything has been checked from fuel filter, fuel pump, alternate fuel source, smart choke system, timing, etc.

Sounds like a refund is in order.

andre34

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been chasing that same problem for 3 season now, on a Gravely ZT/HD 48, Kohler engine/Smart Choke. Still does the same. Went like 12/13 times between 3 different dealers, still haven't found the problem(s). when I bought it, went good for 2/3 months, then it started to act weird, choking itself, no power, black smoke, and so on. They have changed choke system, oil pressure switch, took the motor apart, the carb apart, changed linkage, rods, u name it, still does the same. I will try some of the ideas I just red here, who knows, might fix the problem.

CubbyCommando

Threads
With the "Smart" choke system on the Kohler 7000 one important item in the system is the thermostat. What happens is the "Air vane" will partially open the choke once it gets started (due to the wind created by the flywheel). The thermostat will then fully open, and hold, the choke open once it warms up.

An easy way to check it is to:
A) Disconnect the thermostat and check the resistance (should be around 15 ohms). If that's good reconnect and go to B).
B) Take off the air filter and engine shroud. Start the engine and observe what the choke does. If the choke appears to flutter (open and close) then the thermostat is worn out or faulty. What's happening is the thermostat isn't holding the choke open solidly.

When I tested mine a few months ago the Ohms on the thermostat read about 4-5 ohms and when I would run it the choke would just flutter causing too rich (black smoke) and surging. Once I replaced the thermostat the choke plate stopped fluttering and would stay open rock solid with zero fluttering. I think the spring in the thermostat was worn out and not strong enough to hold the choke plate open.

Just throwing that out there for other folks that mentioned they're having the same or similar problem as OP. I personally hate the smart choke. I own 3 vintage motorcycles and really, how hard is it to open a choke lever to start the machine? Just Kohler trying to add one more bullet item of features (my theory at least). Having said that, my CC XT2 is 6 years old and this was the first time I had an issue with the smart choke so I guess it's pretty reliable (until it's not, ha!). Good luck.